Math SL 2017 Paper 1-2 Discussion

IBStudent98

5 hours ago, Light77 said:

I'm from TZ1 and I actually thought Paper 2 was harder than Paper 1! But Paper 1 was still pretty hard especially question nine, which I found quite tricky. On Paper 2, I messed up on number 7 ("Find when the total distances are equal") and I blanked on number 10 ("Find when the distance between h(x) and y = x is maximum). Did anyone get 23:00 for the high tide question in number 8? 

I could not figure out the tides question. My brain just hit a mental block when I saw 21:00 in the question. This paper made me realize I cannot read time under pressure haha rip :) 

For number 7 they gave us the velocity function right? I remember thinking that I have to integrate it to get displacement and then do all the work but that seemed like way too much work for 6 marks, so I think I ended up writing some random stuff..

Looking back I now realize I'm way more worried about my Paper 2 marks than Paper 1. What a mess sigh. 

39 minutes ago, orangetardish said:

I could not figure out the tides question. My brain just hit a mental block when I saw 21:00 in the question. This paper made me realize I cannot read time under pressure haha rip :) 

For number 7 they gave us the velocity function right? I remember thinking that I have to integrate it to get displacement and then do all the work but that seemed like way too much work for 6 marks, so I think I ended up writing some random stuff..

Looking back I now realize I'm way more worried about my Paper 2 marks than Paper 1. What a mess sigh. 

Okay so from what I remembered, velocity is the first derivative of displacement. So I integrated back, I just forgot to use the distance formula to integrate and plugged numbers back in. As for the tide one, I felt a bit confident about that considering I spent a good 15 minutes plugging in different numbers in the calculator to get the correct graph for the equation. I hope it made up for number nine and part of number ten. 

I took the Math SL exam last year, this year was a retake for me, and none of the previous exams were like the TZ1 papers. Not the teacher's fault. 

I think I made a ton of dumb mistakes with anything calculus related. I couldn't even remember what a gradient was because I was so nervous. The last question on paper 2 was a bummer though. Couldn't figure it out at all. Overall, I think paper 1 was a bunch of forgetting how to do stuff we've learned while paper 2, especially the last 3 questions, was a complete loss, as in not knowing how to even start them.