Math SL 2017 Paper 1-2 Discussion

IBStudent98

Hey guys, 

I would just like to know your thoughts on the Math SL exam.. TZ2.. I found paper 1 pretty alright.. kinda did some dumb mistakes but paper 2 I found it to be harder in my opinion... especially the last probability question was kinda tricky.. What do you guys think? Will they lower the grade boundaries? 

4 hours ago, IBStudent98 said:

Hey guys, 

I would just like to know your thoughts on the Math SL exam.. TZ2.. I found paper 1 pretty alright.. kinda did some dumb mistakes but paper 2 I found it to be harder in my opinion... especially the last probability question was kinda tricky.. What do you guys think? Will they lower the grade boundaries? 

Feel exactly the same way. Made really dumb mistakes on both papers and indeed the bearings & probability distribution question on Paper 2 was challenging. 

1 minute ago, ammyyyyyyy1116 said:

Tz2 here. P1 is easy, but p2 harder. 

For p2 question 9 is the distanc between A and C 175? I am afraid that I might look the question wrongly, and messed all questions up cuz the time is pretty limited when I made to question 9@_@

I can't remember my answers since there so many triple digit numbers for that bearings but your answer sounds about right. Just hope I didn't make anymore severe mistakes. 

16 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

I can't remember my answers since there so many triple digit numbers for that bearings but your answer sounds about right. Just hope I didn't make anymore severe mistakes. 

hi, 175 is not the answer, it's part of the question. I think in the question the distance b/w A and C is 175, if I didn't look anything wrongly.... I just want to make sure that, so maybe my answers are correct. Hope so!

5 minutes ago, ammyyyyyyy1116 said:

hi, 175 is not the answer, it's part of the question. I think in the question the distance b/w A and C is 175, if I didn't look anything wrongly.... I just want to make sure that, so maybe my answers are correct. Hope so!

oh lol I honestly don't remember. There were many parts to the question hence many different numbers obtained. All I know is that I used sin and cos laws with my calc set to radians, the final triangle was a right angle one from point B, to E, and to the point at the top (D was it?) when it came to finding the speed of the boat. 

9 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

oh lol I honestly don't remember. There were many parts to the question hence many different numbers obtained. All I know is that I used sin and cos laws with my calc set to radians, the final triangle was a right angle one from point B, to E, and to the point at the top (D was it?) when it came to finding the speed of the boat. 

yeah yeah, that's similar to what i did. so the speed of boat should be 27.2694549 exactly? That's 27.3 rounded to 3 sgf.

27 minutes ago, ammyyyyyyy1116 said:

yeah yeah, that's similar to what i did. so the speed of boat should be 27.2694549 exactly? That's 27.3 rounded to 3 sgf.

Yeah I didn't round off the answer for speed lol since I wasn't sure. I think I got a similar answer but can't remember since there were just too many distances and answers, plus they award near or even the same amount of marks for answers that are similar to what's on the mark scheme and the important thing is consistency. 

Even though they ask for 3 significant figures in the front of the booklet, all Paper 2 markschemes always have numbers up to 6 significant figures and then the 3 s.f. answer below it, but the 6 s.f. one is still valid for all marks as confirmed by my DPC and Maths teacher. 

6 hours ago, IBStudent98 said:

Hey guys, 

I found the exam pretty alright too, especially P1!  P2 was a little bit trickier, so I had a problem with the time management....

I don't think they will change-lower the boundaries, since the majority of students did pretty well on this test.... There is a slight possibility they change it for like one point lower, but nothing more significant.... Let's hope they don't raise them!!!

23 hours ago, IBStudent98 said:

Hey guys, 

To be honest, I found it difficult... I'm not sure whether it's just a feeling or if it actually didn't go well. Many of my classmates felt the same way as me, so there are at least some people that also found it hard :runrun:

It seems like most people on the form are TZ2! I'm from TZ1 and Paper 1 was crazy hard in my opinion. Many of my classmates agree and said that it was completely different from any past paper. At this point, I'm hoping the curve will save me :( Anybody else from TZ1 feel the same way? Paper 2 was not too bad, pretty normal compared to past papers. Weirdly enough, I feel like I did poorer in paper 2 than paper 1.... Probability messed me up :) 

56 minutes ago, orangetardish said:

It seems like most people on the form are TZ2! I'm from TZ1 and Paper 1 was crazy hard in my opinion. Many of my classmates agree and said that it was completely different from any past paper. At this point, I'm hoping the curve will save me :( Anybody else from TZ1 feel the same way? Paper 2 was not too bad, pretty normal compared to past papers. Weirdly enough, I feel like I did poorer in paper 2 than paper 1.... Probability messed me up :) 

I'm from TZ1 and I actually thought Paper 2 was harder than Paper 1! But Paper 1 was still pretty hard especially question nine, which I found quite tricky. On Paper 2, I messed up on number 7 ("Find when the total distances are equal") and I blanked on number 10 ("Find when the distance between h(x) and y = x is maximum). Did anyone get 23:00 for the high tide question in number 8? 

23 minutes ago, Light77 said:

I'm from TZ1 and I actually thought Paper 2 was harder than Paper 1! But Paper 1 was still pretty hard especially question nine, which I found quite tricky. On Paper 2, I messed up on number 7 ("Find when the total distances are equal") and I blanked on number 10 ("Find when the distance between h(x) and y = x is maximum). Did anyone get 23:00 for the high tide question in number 8? 

I am from TZ1, I found paper two to be easier than Paper 1.... The last question destroyed any chances of me getting a decent score...

For the high tide question I remember getting some number in the teens... I am not so sure tho.

3 minutes ago, revumol7 said:

I am from TZ1, I found paper two to be easier than Paper 1.... The last question destroyed any chances of me getting a decent score...

For the high tide question I remember getting some number in the teens... I am not so sure tho.

I was able to push my way through that last probability question. For the first part, all it was was setting the sum equal to one, and then solving for cos θ. Then they asked for tan θ which is just (sin θ) / (cos θ) and since you're already given cos θ, just solve for sin θ using sin2 θ + cos2 θ = 1. The harder part was the last one where you had to integrate it.

The problem I got stuck on on Paper 1 was number 9, when they asked you to find the values of k.