Sandy

Hey! I'm doing my IA on studying the effect of change in concentration of electrolytes in a voltaic cell. I've taken readings of different materials and shown the different amount of change for each change in concentration (0.2, 0.4...) Is this topic good enough for HL? If so, what can I include as the purpose as the one I have isn't very significant (at least that's what my teacher said)

One more thing is that we have to include uncertainties for the data. I've used a simulation so there won't be any uncertainties as such but my teacher asked me to calculate the uncertainty of the Nernst equation. A part of it is (log Q).. what will be the uncertainty of this?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by Sandy

If your presentation and the chemistry you use is of high standard the experiment you carried out is of little importance, so the topic is fine. For significance I advice you to look at alternative energies the IB really like them. Furthermore to achieve the higher marks you have to clearly show processed data therefore I advice you to calculate the uncertainties for the data you have collected, Finally I am sorry but I am unable to help you with your last point as I am unaware of the uncertainty of that equation and if you were to find it I would appreciate if you could inform me. Good luck

I don't think you need a simulation for this. It's best that you use actual apparatus and perform the reaction yourself.

If the reaction constant Q is 5± 0.1. then you should evaluate log 5.1 and log 4.9 and find the greater difference to log 5. (which will be log 4.9, so log 5 - log 4.9 will be the uncertainty).

You don't need this for the simulation, but if you are conducting the experiment in real life consider looking up activity and activity coefficients in context of solutions and concentrations.