Which IB classes should I take?

McLovin

I'm doing full IB next year and class registration is due next week. I've already got most of my classes figured out (Spanish SL, Literature HL, History HL, Math HL) but I need to decide which science and art class to take:

Biology SL vs. Chemistry SL vs. Physics SL /// Visual Arts HL vs. Choral Music HL

Last year as a freshman, I had an integration of Physics, Chemistry, and Astronomy so I wouldn't consider it as a complete year of any one of those subjects. I'm currently taking a complete year of Biology and I hear that colleges like to see three years of the same science subject? Anyways, overall, science is definitely my weakest subject. Should I go with Biology, is it the easiest science class? And how does the workload and challenge compare to Chemistry and Physics?

I'm leaning more towards Visual Arts because I love to draw, paint, and learn about art history but I'm actually taking a choir class right now. I like to sing, I know the basics of music theory, but I'm not too passionate nor super experienced in it. Should I just continue my studies with Choral Music HL? How do the two classes compare in terms of workload and challenge?

TL;DR - In general, I'm just looking for a balanced schedule that is not too overwhelming but I do want some level of challenge, of course. Which science and art class should I take? I'm a weakling at any science subject and I love art but I'm already taking choir this year. Help me?

Edited by McLovin

You have to take some things into consideration.

Firstly, what do you want to do after school? Your subject choices will limit what courses you can do in university, and therefore you have to keep that in mind.

I wouldn't know about what American universities like, but also, what do you enjoy the most out of them? If none, what are your strengths when it comes to studying? Biology is highly memorisation-based, Physics is mainly concept-based, and Chemistry is a mix. The difficulty of courses varies from person to person, as it often depends on what you enjoy (e.g. I hate memorisation, but I love Biology and History so it makes it easier for me), and also just what you work best with (i.e. some people prefer to understand concepts, whilst others like to memorise facts and information).

I can't help much with the arts, sorry.

I wish you luck in your subject selection!

You have to take some things into consideration.

Firstly, what do you want to do after school? Your subject choices will limit what courses you can do in university, and therefore you have to keep that in mind.

I wouldn't know about what American universities like, but also, what do you enjoy the most out of them? If none, what are your strengths when it comes to studying? Biology is highly memorisation-based, Physics is mainly concept-based, and Chemistry is a mix. The difficulty of courses varies from person to person, as it often depends on what you enjoy (e.g. I hate memorisation, but I love Biology and History so it makes it easier for me), and also just what you work best with (i.e. some people prefer to understand concepts, whilst others like to memorise facts and information).

I can't help much with the arts, sorry.

I wish you luck in your subject selection!

I have no clue what I want to do after high school. I have a strong interest in acting and film, so I may end up pursing that (how ironic) I'd like to gain some type of skills through IB for that pathway --the reason why I'm taking Literature HL, to analyze a story and its characters better, and what not.

Anyways, thank you for your help. It's given me a better way to look at all these classes.

I think you should go for biology because it's based on memorisation. And since you have taken History HL I'm assuming you are good at memorisation. Also since you like acting and film and want to pursue it won't matter much if you take bio or any of the sciences for that matter. So in this case choose what you like best and are likely to get good grades in. Your English HL choice seems great. It should help you. Your workload should be fine so long as you like what you are doing.

• Like 1