Chemistry P1 and P2 TZ2

Abdelbari

So 24 hrs is up... How did everyone find paper 1 and 2? I found both of them to be really good, and is it only me or I found paper 2 to be descriptive. In section B I chose Questions 7 (organic chemistry) and 8 (bonding and electrolytic cell). To be honest I found it easier than last year's paper...

Easier than last year's paper, yes, but I struggled with question 1 - for some reason I went into mental block and couldn't do some of the calculations (namely the uncertainties). It didn't go as well as I wanted (well, paper 1 was actually quite nice so no complaining there :P) but paper 2 was kind of a stab to the heart and paper 3 was kind of that extra painful twist :lmao: I hope my grades won't suffer too badly - I like to think I've probably done better than I expect I did, and also remember that grade boundaries are relatively low compared to other subjects - 78% for a 7 and 68% for a 6, according to last year :) I did the same questions too! They threw in every mechanism possible on that question 7 :P What did you put for the conditions for the addition (hydrogenation) reaction? I put heat and reactants in the gaseous state. And also, that question in section A for the determination of Kc of the reaction, I got 1.69 and said to establish whether the mixture was at equilibrium after one week, that the value of Kc had to be close to 1. I hope everyone found this paper okay :)

Edited by sameera95
  • Like 1

For SL, paper 1 was pretty easy, but the first question of section A (from f to g) was incomprehensible! I just went blank! Q2 and 3 were easy and section B i chose q5 (the one about equilibrium), which was more or less doable (i forgot how to calculate the pH, XD).

For SL, paper 1 was pretty easy, but the first question of section A (from f to g) was incomprehensible! I just went blank! Q2 and 3 were easy and section B i chose q5 (the one about equilibrium), which was more or less doable (i forgot how to calculate the pH, XD).

I did the HL exam, and it's the most horrible feeling going blank in the exam XD

I think I messed up big time (I took SL). Paper 1 and 3 went pretty well, but I may have ruined any chance of a passing grade on Paper 2 Section B.

I answered Question 7 really well, but I made some notes in Question 6 when I was trying to answer it (didn't finish, though) and I forgot to cross them out. I did mark on my cover sheet that I answered Question 7 for Section B but I'm terrified they might grade Question 6 instead... so I think I'll be lucky to get a 3, honestly. Pretty bummed out right now.

Guest Marioti

Paper 2 was terrible for me. I picked the last two questions for section B but I also couldn't do the pH one even though I had studied it the night before >.>

I think some of the posters took TZ1 (instead of TZ2) here, like me.

I actually thought this paper was easier than November 2013. Paper 1 was fairly straightforward. Paper 2 had a lot of tricky questions (IMO Enthalpy in Section A and the last question on Acid/Base in Section B), but it wasn't a hard exam. I didn't study redox and orgo at all, so I was actually quite pleased at all the calculation questions.

Easier than last year's paper, yes, but I struggled with question 1 - for some reason I went into mental block and couldn't do some of the calculations (namely the uncertainties). It didn't go as well as I wanted (well, paper 1 was actually quite nice so no complaining there :P) but paper 2 was kind of a stab to the heart and paper 3 was kind of that extra painful twist :lmao: I hope my grades won't suffer too badly - I like to think I've probably done better than I expect I did, and also remember that grade boundaries are relatively low compared to other subjects - 78% for a 7 and 68% for a 6, according to last year :) I did the same questions too! They threw in every mechanism possible on that question 7 :P What did you put for the conditions for the addition (hydrogenation) reaction? I put heat and reactants in the gaseous state. And also, that question in section A for the determination of Kc of the reaction, I got 1.69 and said to establish whether the mixture was at equilibrium after one week, that the value of Kc had to be close to 1. I hope everyone found this paper okay :)

I found the two questions to be easiest in section B :P , regarding the conditions of hydrogenation I wrote the catalyst nickel, remember? The conversion of Allene to alkane, by the way in section A there was a question that 2-bromopropane forms both products what conditions did you put?

I'm SL and I did TZ2

Paper 1 was alright but afterwards I found out I made a few stupid mistakes. My teacher said everyone does badly on paper 1 was so I don't feel that bad.

Paper 2 was good except for question 1 which was kinda iffy. It seemed that everyone did everything so differently. The other questions were a breeze though. I did question 5 for section B because my mind blanked out on organic chem and the other topic(what was it?)

Gahhhhhhh. I hope I did well.

I found the two questions to be easiest in section B :P , regarding the conditions of hydrogenation I wrote the catalyst nickel, remember? The conversion of Allene to alkane, by the way in section A there was a question that 2-bromopropane forms both products what conditions did you put?

One was an SN2 which formed propan-2-ol and the other was an elimination to produce propene. I found section B nicer than section A to be honest :) I'm just worried I completely messed section A up, question 1 took me over 30 mins to do :P

• Like 1

Paper 1 was alright in my opinion! It was pretty good but a bit tricky.

But that paper 2..... ohmygod. That was the most HORRIBLE paper I have ever done. That paper 2 just killed my confidence. Everyone came out of the exam hall and literally everyone said, "what the hell was that!?!?!?".

Everyone in my class did the same thing. Some people almost cried too.. I was hoping for a 7 before the exams, because I could do all the past papers I did. But this one was just completely different and it was literally just on acids and bases with a few random stuff in it, and acids and bases is my only weakness T_T It was just awful.. Some of the stuff was not even in the syllabus >.> I'd be glad if I manage to get a 5.

One was an SN2 which formed propan-2-ol and the other was an elimination to produce propene. I found section B nicer than section A to be honest :) I'm just worried I completely messed section A up, question 1 took me over 30 mins to do :P

I also found section B nicer than A... but to be honest there were some questions in section A that were fairly simple.... I really liked to the ozone question and the isotopes questions... I don't think you messed up sameera :P , i got the same propan-2-ol and propene!!!! for conditions for propan-2-ol i wrote it has to be aqueous and for propene it has to be hot... but i didn't understand how will they award the 6 marks, what about you what did you put for conditions?

I also found section B nicer than A... but to be honest there were some questions in section A that were fairly simple.... I really liked to the ozone question and the isotopes questions... I don't think you messed up sameera :P , i got the same propan-2-ol and propene!!!! for conditions for propan-2-ol i wrote it has to be aqueous and for propene it has to be hot... but i didn't understand how will they award the 6 marks, what about you what did you put for conditions?

for propan-2-ol I put SN2 and KOH in water, for propene I put elimination mechanism, and hot KOH in ethanol - I think you had to specify that KOH was in ethanol for elimination, and water for substitution. I think it's 6 marks for products formed (2 - propene and propan-2-ol), the mechanism (substitution and elimination - I said SN2 but I didn't specify E1 or E2 because I didn't know which one it was), and 2 for conditions ( KOH in water for SN2, and hot KOH in ethanol for elimination) :) To be honest, I don't think it mattered whether you put SN1 or SN2, because 2-bromopropane is a secondary halogenoalkane which works in both mechanisms.

• Like 1

Now 24 hrs is up too for P3 tz2, how did everyone find it? I did options D and E, I found both options good overall but i hate the absurdity of option E regarding the solubility product calculation. In general it was harder than last year's...

I took the exam in Europe... I found paper 1 to be alright (not great either) but paper 2 was really difficult. It all went relatively okay besides the first question in section A... Like most, I also found section B to be easier than A. I couldn't figure out percentage uncertainties in question 1 and I think I made MANY silly mistakes.
I also couldn't predict the bond angle for ozone -__- For the 6 mark question asking for the conditions and product (the one which required for us to fill in the table), I literally put the conditions and the products but I didn't put the mechanism... I have a feeling I misread the question, were we required to state which mechanism??

Also, I'm not quite sure which question this was but it asked us to deduce a rate expression for one of the organic compounds they showed. I didn't name it though... Instead, I just wrote rate=k. Anyone else do this, or were we required to use nomenclature to deduce its IUPAC name?

• Like 1

Now 24 hrs is up too for P3 tz2, how did everyone find it? I did options D and E, I found both options good overall but i hate the absurdity of option E regarding the solubility product calculation. In general it was harder than last year's...

I did option E as well and the calculation annoyed me so much! I did past papers from last year to 2010 and every single Ksp calculation was the same, then we get that! The remembering equations wasn't great either.

• Like 1

I did option E as well and the calculation annoyed me so much! I did past papers from last year to 2010 and every single Ksp calculation was the same, then we get that! The remembering equations wasn't great either.

I did options D and E as well! I think option D was quite nice, asking about the acids in the stomach and all was a give away and there was nothing that threw me off too much. For the Ksp equation in E, I completely ignored the concentrations given in the question and wrote as my assumption that the concentrations of the two solvents or whatever they were (can't even remember anymore! Haha) were the same, then continued calculating it as shown in textbooks. I obviously must have done something wrong but I might get 2 out of 4 marks for it (if even)

• Like 1