Math HL Paper 2 TZ2

sanadiwan2006

Did any body solve the implicit differential equations question? Because I wasted 10 mins trying to figure out why I got 0 as a denominator in b) and I still don't know why. If any body remembers the question please tell me and tell me the answer that u got. btw overall the paper was way easier than paper 1, it's easy if you're good at probability

I actually found it a relief too compared to paper 1! Although it wasn't amazing, it was better. For the implicit differentiation, I got an undefined value (1/0 I think?) ... so I thought I had gotten something wrong and moved on.. Apparently it is supposed to be undefined, because the gradient of the normal is then 0 (negative of the reciprocal)!

• Like 1

I actually found it a relief too compared to paper 1! Although it wasn't amazing, it was better. For the implicit differentiation, I got an undefined value (1/0 I think?) ... so I thought I had gotten something wrong and moved on.. Apparently it is supposed to be undefined, because the gradient of the normal is then 0 (negative of the reciprocal)!

Same here, I thought about doing that but then I thought that the Ib won't ask a stupid question like that so I moved on... Apparently I was wrong :P

Whoops, I just made a topic on this cuz I thought it wasn't made lol.

Did any body solve the implicit differential equations question? Because I wasted 10 mins trying to figure out why I got 0 as a denominator in b) and I still don't know why. If any body remembers the question please tell me and tell me the answer that u got. btw overall the paper was way easier than paper 1, it's easy if you're good at probability

I got undefined as well! I thought I did it wrong as well so I left it at that, I didn't want to waste time looking for my mistake. My friends told me that if you get undefined you're supposed to take 1 or -1 or something as the gradient of the normal, or 0 like someone here said?, so I guess I got part a at least (which was most of the marks, huzzah). Or maybe we all did the same mistake, which would be weird.

There were so many distributions in section A though! Not that I'm complaining, but I was hoping for them to turn up in Section B so that I get a tonne of marks for that, I found those pretty easy before. Did anyone catch a Viete's Theorem question? I think I did find one which had to do with the roots of a question but I didn't finish it.

• Like 1

Whoops, I just made a topic on this cuz I thought it wasn't made lol.

I got undefined as well! I thought I did it wrong as well so I left it at that, I didn't want to waste time looking for my mistake. My friends told me that if you get undefined you're supposed to take 1 or -1 or something as the gradient of the normal, or 0 like someone here said?, so I guess I got part a at least (which was most of the marks, huzzah). Or maybe we all did the same mistake, which would be weird.

There were so many distributions in section A though! Not that I'm complaining, but I was hoping for them to turn up in Section B so that I get a tonne of marks for that, I found those pretty easy before. Did anyone catch a Viete's Theorem question? I think I did find one which had to do with the roots of a question but I didn't finish it.

yeah there was a question involving viete's theorom but I couldn't do it as well

Yup, the denominator was definitely zero! I think it's a vertical asymptote and that's probably why dy/dx does not exist there. I thought I was doing it wrong but I let it be and justified it as an asymptote. In retrospection, I think I could have just graphed on the calculator and checked!

Edited by StormySky

That implicit differentiation question was really wonky. I thought I differentiated it wrong when I got -4/0 and did it again in the answer booklet but I got the same answer. I just wrote that there can't be a normal or something like that.

My friends said that the normal was y = 0 or something for some reason.

I think I did better on paper 2 than paper 1. I couldn't do part (d) of question 14 though. Should have taken physics instead of chem.

I think the grade boundaries will be balanced out by paper 1 and 2 into the low to mid 70%s range but it does depend on paper 3.....................fffufuufufufuufufuufufufupfdpsofjskljljdfsifj

I GOT EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! I looked for a mistake in the calculus for 5 min at least. Don't know whether there was a mistake in the paper or not. Paper 2 was much easier for me than paper 1.

Edited by 8thomas

Yup, the denominator was definitely zero! I think it's a vertical asymptote and that's probably why dy/dx does not exist there. I thought I was doing it wrong but I let it be and justified it as an asymptote. In retrospection, I think I could have just graphed on the calculator and checked!

I thought of the exactly the same thing during the exam. But just the moment i turned on my calculator, i realized that it cannot be graphed, because it is a function of both x and y (basically it wasnt a function). The IB is really nasty this time! :urgh:

That implicit differentiation question was really wonky. I thought I differentiated it wrong when I got -4/0 and did it again in the answer booklet but I got the same answer. I just wrote that there can't be a normal or something like that.

I think I did better on paper 2 than paper 1. I couldn't do part (d) of question 14 though. Should have taken physics instead of chem.

I think the grade boundaries will be balanced out by paper 1 and 2 into the low to mid 70%s range but it does depend on paper 3.....................fffufuufufufuufufuufufufupfdpsofjskljljdfsifj

I think the normal was y=1. dy/dx = 0 so the slope is zero, but to substitute it back into the point (1,1) as given by the question, the normal is the y=1 line.

ya well they said the equation of the normal so

slope of normal = - slope of tangent

so the equation was y - y0= 0