French B HL - Comprehension and Writing

I have a problem with reading comprehension and writing. I'm native born Canadian, and grew up in a family with a french speaking father. I'm fluent in speaking french. I can talk with almost anyone about any topic, I just need half a second to adjust to accents. However, I have a huge problem with comprehension and writing because I never learned how to do this…. Grade 10 was my first year of french classes, and if it wasn't for my 7 in Oral, than I would have done terribly…

Does anyone have any tips, techniques, or advice to get better at the reading comprehension as well as my writing skills? I'm hoping for a 7 in my final exams, at least that's what I'm aiming for. I know I can get a 7 in the oral aspect, it's a breeze. But I really need to push the writing and comprehension up.

Thanks,

Duri Devil

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem ! Grew up in a french speaking neighborhood, however never really wrote or read anything in the language.

The oral marks are extremely high but the reading and writing, not so much. I would advise you to read as many books as you can, and after each chapter, pinpoint the words/phrases you don't understand and look them up (or as your french speaking father, lucky you!) 

Since you live in Canada, I would you to perhaps take a french course at Alliance Francaise, they even have one especially designed for IB students and their requirements , that's what I plan on doing this summer lol.

Bonne chance, et svp sentez libre de m'envoyer un message privé si vous avez des autre questions !