Biology HL TZ1 Paper 1 & 2

America Singer

What did you guys put for the food chain question on P1? I said it was both a secondary and tertiary consumer and hoped I was right because I barely studied ecology..

Yeah I did that too! I'm positive that was the right answer - it was the only one that made sense

What did you guys put for the food chain question on P1? I said it was both a secondary and tertiary consumer and hoped I was right because I barely studied ecology..

Yeah I said that as well along with alot of other people I talked to!

Do you guys want to discuss some of the answers from papers 1 and 2? Just from the questions I can remember from paper 1,

Q: Stem cells
A: They reproduce

Q: After one phase of meiosis of a diploid animal cell, what are the products? (doubting whether this was even a question.. cant remember)
A: 2 haploid cells

Q: "Overall" products of glycolysis?
A: 2 pyruvate, 2 ATP, 2 NADH

I'm not sure if any of these are right, but this is from what I have heard and what I put as answers! I'll add more as I remember them.

• Like 1

Do you guys want to discuss some of the answers from papers 1 and 2? Just from the questions I can remember from paper 1,

Q: After one phase of meiosis of a diploid animal cell, what are the products? (doubting whether this was even a question.. cant remember)

I'm not sure if any of these are right, but this is from what I have heard and what I put as answers! I'll add more as I remember them.

Q: Stem Cells

My Answer: I said that they can be transferred between organisms. I honestly didn't really know whether to pick that or the fact that they reproduce, all I remembered was that they have the ability to divide endlessly :( I was caught up on the word reproduce, since they don't really reproduce they replicate themselves by dividing. No clue.

Q:Q: After one phase of meiosis of a diploid animal cell, what are the products? (doubting whether this was even a question.. cant remember)

A: I can't remember what the exact answer I put was, but it was the one with chromosome number: n instead of 2n and the cells produced being 2. I don't think the answer talked about haploid/diploid!

Q: "Overall" products of glycolysis

A: 2 pyruvate, 2 ATP, 2 NADH is what I put as well to compensate for the 2 ATP lost through phosphorylation.

Edited by patrick1996

I honestly didn't know the stem cell one. I can't remember if I put that they reproduce or if they transfer between species. I think I put that they transfer though because all cells divide, these just divide faster and I thought that they were looking for something that makes stem cells unique.

My Answer: I said that they can be transferred between organisms. I honestly didn't really know whether to pick that or the fact that they reproduce, all I remembered was that they have the ability to divide endlessly :( I was caught up on the word reproduce, since they don't really reproduce they replicate themselves by dividing. No clue.

Q:Q: After one phase of meiosis of a diploid animal cell, what are the products? (doubting whether this was even a question.. cant remember)

A: I can't remember what the exact answer I put was, but it was the one with chromosome number: n instead of 2n and the cells produced being 2. I don't think the answer talked about haploid/diploid!

A: 2 pyruvate, 2 ATP, 2 NADH is what I put as well to compensate for the 2 ATP lost through phosphorylation.

Q: Stem Cell

A: There are unlimited stem cells in adult tissues, and I think it is the answer as I checked it in my textbook

Q: Meiosis

A: 2 cells with n chromosomes, so 2 haploid cells I guess :)

Q: Overall product

A: 2 ATP, 2 NADH, 2 pyruvate

In paper 1, what did you guys think about these questions

Q1: action potential in nerve cells

A: I put axon only; even though I put A (anywhere in the cell) first and then changed the answer in the last minute :/

Q2: carbohydrates from cotyledon to embryos

A: I put starch but very uncertain (the textbook says glucose or sucrose, and I think they both were choices?)

Q3: the type of structure of this one chain in this protein

A: Secondary structure (I was very unsure about it, I thought it was primary because it was polypeptide chain, but then it said folded polypeptide, which is why I went with the secondary sturcutre. But then, the question asked what describes the best of this "three dimensional" structure, so it could be tertiary, but there was a highlight on the "one" chain, so I went with secondary but not sure again)

Q4: Precautionary principle

A: taking precaution while constructing the project (I was debating between this and the supporters proving it is not harmful)

Paper 2

Q5: The ratio of the phenotype of the test cross for this heterozygous gamete

A: 1:1:1:1

On paper 1 with the DNA strand and you had to describe what is taking place.

Did anyone say replication and transcription? Or just replication?

I know for sure I got that one wrong :P! I didn't really understand what it was asking and didn't really understand the picture that was given so I guessed all three... I think some people in my class said just replication, although I heard replication and transcription from a few people as well.

I was debating between replication and replication and transcription too.. In the end I put just replication for the sole reason that the end of the url under the picture was ".com/replication_bubbles" haha probably not the best thing to base my answer on but seemed logical in the moment.

I put replication and transcription.

I went with replication only because of that url address and because I knew that was during replication by the micrograph.

However, the wording of the question was like 'what could take place in any of the pointing area,' which made me think maybe they are suggesting transcription COULD happen there, which makes sense cause it unwinds the strands as well

A: There are unlimited stem cells in adult tissues, and I think it is the answer as I checked it in my textbook

I was leaning towards that but then I remembered reading this from Bio Ninja, which gave me the impression that adult tissues had a limited/minimal supply (I have no idea if this is correct :D). :eek: This question should have been simple but the answers were somewhat confusing :P

2.1.10 Outline one therapeutic use of stem cells

Stem cells can be derived from embryos or the placenta / umbilical cord of the mother; also minimal amounts can be harvested from some adult tissue

Stem cells can be used to replace damaged or diseased cells with healthy, functioning ones

A: I put axon only; even though I put A (anywhere in the cell) first and then changed the answer in the last minute :/

A: I put starch but very uncertain (the textbook says glucose or sucrose, and I think they both were choices?)

A: Secondary structure (I was very unsure about it, I thought it was primary because it was polypeptide chain, but then it said folded polypeptide, which is why I went with the secondary sturcutre. But then, the question asked what describes the best of this "three dimensional" structure, so it could be tertiary, but there was a highlight on the "one" chain, so I went with secondary but not sure again)

A: taking precaution while constructing the project (I was debating between this and the supporters proving it is not harmful)

Paper 2

Q1: I put anywhere within the axon. I asked a few people and they said this as well, but I am not entirely positive! Since all of answers had only one option except for the answer that said "all of them", I leaned towards it because I was fairly sure it passed through the entire axon!

Q2: I put maltose, amylase breaks down starch into maltose and the maltose is then carried to the embryo :)

Q3: I am fairly certain this was tertiary structure; since it was referring to the 3D structure of one polypeptide (which is due to the bonds that form between the R groups of the individual amino acids), this still applies to tertiary structure, it's quaternary structure that is multiple polypeptide chains.

Q4: Got this wrong lol.

I was leaning towards that but then I remembered reading this from Bio Ninja, which gave me the impression that adult tissues had a limited/minimal supply (I have no idea if this is correct :D). :eek: This question should have been simple but the answers were somewhat confusing :P

Stem cells can be derived from embryos or the placenta / umbilical cord of the mother; also minimal amounts can be harvested from some adult tissue

Stem cells can be used to replace damaged or diseased cells with healthy, functioning ones

The oxford ib dp biology course companion second edition:

"Small numbers of cells seem to remain as stem cells, however an they are still present in the adult body. They are present in many human tissues, including bone marrow, skin and liver. They give some human tissues considerable powers of regeneration and repair. The stem cells in other tissues - for example, brain, kidney adn heart - only allow limited repair"

I guess the choice of "unlimited" amount is not the best wording, but that option was the best compared to other three:

They reproduce - they do replicate and differentiate, but they don't "reproduce"

Transfer between species - idek if it's true or not, but that doesn't contribute to the repair and regeneration of damaged tissues

They are specialized- they are not, yet. They have potential to be differentiated and specialized. In fact, if they are already specialized, it would not be able to repair damaged tissues

Paper 2

For Q1 I put axon too.

For Q2 I said sucrose because starch is usually insoluble. However, I looked on bioninja and the correct answer is maltose. Completely forgot about this one.

• ibberellin causes the synthesis of amylase, which breaks down starch into maltose
  • Maltose is transported to the embryo, where it is either hydrolysed to glucose (for energy) or polymerised to cellulose (for cell wall formation)

For Q3 I put tertiary because it said the individual chains were folded 3D amino acids, so I would think it would have to be tertiary.

Q4 I put that the builders have to prove it is not harmful before they start, as I definitely remember reading this in the textbook. However not 100% sure.

Q5 got that too! Everyone did a dihybrid cross right?

The oxford ib dp biology course companion second edition:

"Small numbers of cells seem to remain as stem cells, however an they are still present in the adult body. They are present in many human tissues, including bone marrow, skin and liver. They give some human tissues considerable powers of regeneration and repair. The stem cells in other tissues - for example, brain, kidney adn heart - only allow limited repair"

I guess the choice of "unlimited" amount is not the best wording, but that option was the best compared to other three:

They reproduce - they do replicate and differentiate, but they don't "reproduce"

Transfer between species - idek if it's true or not, but that doesn't contribute to the repair and regeneration of damaged tissues

They are specialized- they are not, yet. They have potential to be differentiated and specialized. In fact, if they are already specialized, it would not be able to repair damaged tissues

Yeah I put that they are unlimited for this question, but I think it might be that they reproduce. Mitosis is a type of asexual reproduction, so even though reproduction isn't exactly the best word to use, I think that may be the right answer.

Did anyone find these questions to be fairly ambiguous? I found them a bit more challenging than the exams from previous years..

Re; Stem Cells

Mhmm, as with some of the previous posters I put that there are an endless amount, only because I ruled out some of the answers. I'm thinking the answer is that they reproduce because that's what the majority of my classmates said. Although reproduce isn't exactly a good word to describe it, I don't think there's an endless amount of stem cells. Ahh someone please confirm the answer for this, it's killing me ; n;

Re; Precautionary Principle

What did some more of you say about the precautionary principle? I think I put that supporters have to prove it isn't harmful. Saying that the builders have to prove something seemed more right to me, but it didn't seem right that they just had to prove after, or during. Wait .. .... .. maybe it is that they have to prove after ....

A list of confirmed answers:

Paper 1:

Q: What directs transcription

A: Nucleosomes

Q: Food Chain

A: Secondary and tertiary consumer

Q: Products of animal cell after one phase of meiosis:
A: 2 haploid cells (2 cells, n)

A: 2 pyruvate 2 ATP 2 NADH

Q: Action Potential in nerve cells
A: entire/anywhere in cell (it needs to go down the entire membrane in order to get to the end, it can't skip bits)

Q: carbohydrates from cotyledons to embryos

A: maltose

Q: Kidney diagram, last question

A: C (loop of Henle)

Paper 2:

Magnification of Testes: 0.16

Nerve Cells: Emergent properties

Ratio of phenotype: 1:1:1:1

Edited by myogenic

Overall, paper 1 and 2 weren't too bad. Was anyone else bothered by the fact that there were FOUR drawings in section B? A drawing in every question. I couldn't believe it because I did so many past exams and none of them ever had that many. I ended up doing the kidney question and nerve transmission question. I said the cells in the tissue micrograph were Leydig cells and produced testosterone. What was the right answer for that?

Paper 1, I was a bit upset because they turned the simplest outcomes to be confusing and strangely worded. Even the stem cells question - I said that "unlimited" amounts can be harvested from adult tissue, but I have no idea if that's right. And the precautionary principle question was the worst of all. I can't even remember what I put for that one - I just remember how strange it was and I hope they take it off or something.

I picked 1 and 2 for the Cnidaria question (the jellyfish and the other round stinging tentacle-y thing).

For the question about the development of males, I picked the one that had checked off X, Y, and testosterone.

• Like 1

Honestly, from paper 1 I don't remeber much but there was the 2 question with the digarams. In diagram of DNA in the nucleus - my answers was DNA replication and transcription. And the last quest with the kidney the Answer was loop of Henle?

On paper 2, I did question 5 and 8.

Overall, paper 1 and 2 weren't too bad. Was anyone else bothered by the fact that there were FOUR drawings in section B? A drawing in every question. I couldn't believe it because I did so many past exams and none of them ever had that many. I ended up doing the kidney question and nerve transmission question. I said the cells in the tissue micrograph were Leydig cells and produced testosterone. What was the right answer for that?

Paper 1, I was a bit upset because they turned the simplest outcomes to be confusing and strangely worded. Even the stem cells question - I said that "unlimited" amounts can be harvested from adult tissue, but I have no idea if that's right. And the precautionary principle question was the worst of all. I can't even remember what I put for that one - I just remember how strange it was and I hope they take it off or something.

I picked 1 and 2 for the Cnidaria question (the jellyfish and the other round stinging tentacle-y thing).

For the question about the development of males, I picked the one that had checked off X, Y, and testosterone.

Yea a few years ago there was an exam with also with a drawing question for all of section B and I picked 1 and 2 too

Honestly, from paper 1 I don't remeber much but there was the 2 question with the digarams. In diagram of DNA in the nucleus - my answers was DNA replication and transcription. And the last quest with the kidney the Answer was loop of Henle?

On paper 2, I did question 5 and 8.

Yea a few years ago there was an exam with also with a drawing question for all of section B and I picked 1 and 2 too