Biology HL TZ1 Paper 1 & 2

America Singer

So I wasn't the only one who found plant science quite prevalent! Paper one wasn't as nice as I would have liked it; I found that although they covered a fairly wide range of topics, the information that they asked about was very specific and not necessarily key concepts (such as differentiating between xylem and phloem in the cross section of a stem, and that random question on the function of the colon...who knows that off the top of their head...). Compared to last year, paper one was somewhat more difficult, so hopefully the mark scheme will compensate slightly :(. Paper two was pretty straightforward in my opinion (both sections A and B), especially after reading about TZ2 paper two; I answered the question with the nerve impulse transfer and the one on the kidney/diabetes.

Edited by patrick1996

Yeah, plant questions were too prevalent. I didn't like questions like 2-4 on paper 2, but 1 was alright and I absolutely loved 5 & 6 on it. (5 was on nerve impulses, and 6 was on DNA/ GMO's....although I got the K+ and Na+ ions backwards on number 5 I don't think I'll get too many marks off) I'm just glad that genetics weren't too prevalent because I'm no good at them lol.

I think my favorite paper 1 question was number 17 on listing the taxonomic levels from largest to smallest, because I got to use the acronym "King Phillip Came Over For Good Spaghetti" (Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species) for the first time since 5th grade ha ha ha.

Does anyone know what the correct answer was to the question about the nerve cells thinking? Also, what did you answer for the picture of the or spermatogenesis? Were they pointing to a germline epithelial cell, sperm stem cell, or spermatogonium?

Edited by SeverusSnape

Does anyone know what the correct answer was to the question about the nerve cells thinking?

I put emergent properties, hopefully that was correct because that was the only thing I remembered seeing in the outcomes and it seemed to fit :P

Also in response to your other question I believe it was the germinal epithelial cells, as it pointed to the very outer area of the seminpherous tubule. The other arrow pointed to the interstitial cells.

Edited by patrick1996

What answer did you all get for the magnification question of the testis?

I believe it was ruler mag/scale mag, which gave something like 64mm/400 or whatever the magnification was for the actual size, and +/- 0.0025 for the uncertainty...at least I hope that's right lol :dontgetit:

• Like 1

I believe it was ruler mag/scale mag, which gave something like 64mm/400 or whatever the magnification was for the actual size, and +/- 0.0025 for the uncertainty...at least I hope that's right lol :dontgetit:

That's what I did as well (except I measured 65 mm oh well :P ). I believe I expressed it in both mm and micrometers because they didn't really specify how to express it, and I'm so used to expressing actual size in terms of micrometers... hopefully they don't ding me :D

• Like 1

That's what I did as well (except I measured 65 mm oh well :P ). I believe I expressed it in both mm and micrometers because they didn't really specify how to express it, and I'm so used to expressing actual size in terms of micrometers... hopefully they don't ding me :D

Lol well it still gives you 0.16 either way you do it hehe. And yeah i'm pretty sure they'll accept both! i mean...it's the least they could do for being so hard-ass on us...

• Like 1

On paper 1 with the DNA strand and you had to describe what is taking place.

Did anyone say replication and transcription? Or just replication?

I know for sure I got that one wrong :P! I didn't really understand what it was asking and didn't really understand the picture that was given so I guessed all three... I think some people in my class said just replication, although I heard replication and transcription from a few people as well.

Yes the question with the nerve cells is in fact emergent properties. And as for the dna strand question, it could have been transcription or replication :P.

I thought that paper 1 was a bit unfair because some of the questions they asked weren't directly answered in the objective statements... So I know I missed 2 for sure, and maybe up to 4-5 more, so I'm just hoping the IB curve saves me with a 6 or 7 on this test XD. Paper 2 was more than fair though as they were all basically objective statements. I did the first two questions, though I did have a problem with the GMO question. It had 8 marks on it, but even our book didn't cover more than 5 points, so I probably missed a couple marks on that one as well.

On paper 1 with the DNA strand and you had to describe what is taking place.

Did anyone say replication and transcription? Or just replication?

I know for sure I got that one wrong :P! I didn't really understand what it was asking and didn't really understand the picture that was given so I guessed all three... I think some people in my class said just replication, although I heard replication and transcription from a few people as well.

I was debating between replication and replication and transcription too.. In the end I put just replication for the sole reason that the end of the url under the picture was ".com/replication_bubbles" haha probably not the best thing to base my answer on but seemed logical in the moment.

Edited by dubbers
  • Like 2

I can't remember the exact question, but what did you guys say for the one that said something along the lines of... "What directs replication?" Or maybe it was transcription, I can't remember. I had never heard of any question like this so I just made an educated guess of nucleosomes because the rest didn't seem right to me.

I can't remember the exact question, but what did you guys say for the one that said something along the lines of... "What directs replication?" Or maybe it was transcription, I can't remember. I had never heard of any question like this so I just made an educated guess of nucleosomes because the rest didn't seem right to me.

Yes, nucleosomes regulate transcription :)

Yes, nucleosomes regulate transcription :)

Awesome :D At least I got a 1/40 lol