English A Literature SL P1

pokhayu

TZ2, I picked the poetry <3 Ah my goodness, it went so well for me, I think it was the most I'd ever written for an English paper 1! (6 pages~) I had the poem Moon by Kathleen Jamie :D It seemed difficult at first, but after a couple of re-reads all the points just kinda flew out at me and I'm so happy, I hope I got a high grade :D

Oh ****. I thought the Poetry was ridiculous. Chose the Prose. Although it may have been due to the fact that I prefer Prose over Poetry. But the Prose this time was pretty sneaky with the undertones and stuff!

Prose.

I'm in TZ1 and I wasn't sure of my interpretation the poem, it was called something like The Tantrum I think.

Well I didn't understand the title (disadvantage for non-natives taking English lit) and the first question was "what's the significance of the title" so I obviously couldn't do the poem...

Edited by ssy

Guest Marioti

I did the poem

I got the one 'Watching for Dolphins'

Personally I thought the prose we got (something with a girl called Mona) was too straightforward. I disliked it

I'm in TZ1 and for the prose passage, my interpretation focused on how the narrator seemed to be "the consciousness"/or "mind" whilst Terry was actually his "body" (though the narrator says it is his brother). And I argued that it was the static imagery, and his apathetic attitude juxtaposed with Terry's "jumping" in bed that showed how the narrator is unable to move by himself and not have to be dragged like a "drunkard".

I forgot to mention the title "A fraction of a whole" though...shame as it would have been entirely consistent with my interpretation....

Mind/the narrator(fraction)+ Body/Terry (fraction)=whole

Does this make sense?

• Like 1

Hey!!

I'm also in TZ1, I chose prose, since it was easy to read through. However, while analysing I realised it was a bit of a trap, since you had to really look into different meanings and interpretations of the text.. Nevertheless, went really well for me, wrote 7 pages, so very happy with it :D

I plan to read the book over the summer, since the plot and way it was presented seemed interesting!!

Hope you all get your desired grades!!

pokhau, your interpretation sounds interesting, have to say didn't think of it, but rather thought of Terry as a symbol of the years lost by the main protagonist, something he finds hard to come to terms with...

for the people who chose TZ2 Poem, what points did you make? I know my main points were how she used the vivid imagery to illustrate the passage of time + ironic undertones of life and death in inanimate objects vs the death of the speaker, and argued that the speaker initially sought comfort from the moonlight in her 'time of darkness' and got frustrated by how long it was taking to deliver said comfort

I did the TZ2 prose (the one about Adrian Finn). I don't I think I did well, I only picked up on the obvious stuff. Can someone tell me what their interpretation was?

ahh sameee! Mostly only explain about the protagonist's reaction toward Finn hahaha :/

TZ2 here.

Poem, "Moon".

So many themes, so little time. haha.

Transient nature of life, child-parent relationship, hopes v/s disappointment.

Also, the title itself is a Pathetic fallacy...

Many literary devices, variety of imageries (organic, visual, kinaesthetic).

Metaphors (Books= getting to know the child)

Diction ("pretends" to know the child)

Last few lines- irony.

The child knows the moon is not mother- but still equates the mother to moon.

Abandonment.

Poet tries to preach the importance of parental relationships to the readers.