AP calculus bc, take or not ?

Megamind

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a situation here.

I'm doing Maths HL with series and differential equations as the option, and I 'm confused whether I should take AP calculus 'BC' or not ?

I mean, would it help me significantly with admissions in USA if I say get a 5 in it, even though I'm doing math HL and have a predicted 7 ?? :/

Thanks in advance.

If you're taking HL math and you're predicted to get a high score, I wouldn't bother with it. The only reason I would take the AP exam would be if the university you're applying to doesn't recognize IB. You usually gain credit for scores of a 5 or better, so going in with both IB and AP for similar subjects is a waste of time in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't see why your universities would require it since Math HL is harder than AP calc BC (as there's more to know). However, if you find out that your college does in fact prefer calc bc to math HL for some reason, I suggest you go for it. Just keep in mind if you're teaching yourself that time pressure is a major issue in the exam so you're going to have to learn how to manage your time well and maybe learn a few tricks on the multiple choice so that you can do it very quickly rather than spend a lot of time working stuff out. Also you're going to have to learn a couple of additional things that aren't on the IB syllabus, like parametric equations. This shouldn't be too hard though. Good luck!

• Like 1