Help with the Functions Unit

Dax

Hi guys, the exams are in 2 months, and I need some help with the Functions topic, especially graphing asymptotes or looking at graphs and finding asymptotes.

Is there any help or material that you could provide?
For example, a question I had trouble understanding was posted earlier was Question No. 08 from Nov 2010 paper 2. Another question is May 2010 Time Zone 1 Paper 1 Question 2. I just don't understand this question.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

I can't find the first question but for the second one:

may 2010 p.1 q.2:

So basically you need to find the equation of both curves by looking at the graph the find f(g(x)) equate it to 3 and solve that equation

1. find equations of the curves

f(x): we know that it's a quadratic so it will be in the form ax^2+bx+c

We already know c because it's the y-intercept so c=3

We know the x-intercepts which are the solution to the equation

now substitute those values in the equation in terms of a and b and solve the equation, so we get

a(-1)^2+b(-1)+3=0 and a(4)^2+b(4)+3=0 now solve those two simultaneously to get a=-3\4 and b=9\4

now you do exactly the same for g(x) except now c=2 because the graph crosses the y-axis at y=2

doing this you will get a=-0.5 and b=3/2

so now you have the two equations

then you just do f(g(x)), equate it to 3 and solve

These two problems are both about operations of functions (one on function composition and one on division of functions), if you, as you said, don't understand the problem I strongly suggest you to review that concept.
By the way,

So basically you need to find the equation of both curves by looking at the graph the find f(g(x)) equate it to 3 and solve that equation

You really don't have to find their equations as it is just a 4-mark question and x has integer values at f(x)=3, so you can just do the problem by inspection.

because f(0)=f(3)=3, and f(g(x))=3,

therefore g(x)=0 or g(x)=3,

therefore x=-1, 1, 2, or 4.

Edit: the [latex] tag doesn't seem to work.

Edit: html hates latex.

Edit: I give up.

Edited by ssy