How does IB check for plagiarism?

Ryoika

I understand the paranoia (what if my EE contains plagiarism without my knowing about it) but I think it is unnecessary ... You know if you plagiarised or not, if you are trying to plagiarize and hide it somehow, well then I would be worried no matter what Write Check says, but if you are just being paranoid I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know, they are still using turnitin but I have also heard they check stuff automatically through other databases.

Just make sure you are citing your quotes correctly, etc.

• Like 1

Most teachers and schools will give you the benefit of doubt if there are a few things that match what others have said, and no consistent patterns of reproduction. If you are CLEAR in your mind that you have not copied, then you are fine. A few sentences her and there in your essay is no strong indication of plagiarism. You can relax.

And anyway, just add the name and date in parentheses for ideas that you refer to which are taken from somewhere. All academics do this as a habit and it is easy. You'll get better at judging when you need to and when you can claim it as your own. How many of our ideas are really our own anyway?

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

what about cases where the people have cite wrongly, or does not do proper citing?

Most teachers and schools will give you the benefit of doubt if there are a few things that match what others have said, and no consistent patterns of reproduction. If you are CLEAR in your mind that you have not copied, then you are fine. A few sentences her and there in your essay is no strong indication of plagiarism. You can relax.

And anyway, just add the name and date in parentheses for ideas that you refer to which are taken from somewhere. All academics do this as a habit and it is easy. You'll get better at judging when you need to and when you can claim it as your own. How many of our ideas are really our own anyway?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

what about cases where the people have cite wrongly, or does not do proper citing?

Someone reply to this please.

In general citations should not exceed 30% of your paper (as far as I remember). Below this mark you are relatively safe. But if you don't give the source for the citation at all, you may be in trouble - they have no way to find out whether you did it accidentaly or on purpose - then it also depends on how long the cited bit is.. If you messed up the order of sources or the data is incomplete, it's quite easy to find it (Turnitin shows the original source so if the source does appear in your paper but in a different place, it will be found)... well, as long as you provide basic data such as title and athor. And of course this will affect your mark in a way you wouldn't like....

And above all, if you or whoever else proof-reads your work, this should never happen!

• 6 months later...

When does IB check plagiarism? Who checks plagiarism(examiners?) ?

I'd assume when they receive the document and they use a software, so what does it matter who does it? 

I honestly do not understand this paranoia that's happening here these days. If you wrote your paper yourself, included references and stuff, why on earth would you not be sure that your paper wasn't plagiarised?????? Yes, some 'plagiarism' will appear when you upload your work to turnitin, because it can't distinguish what's quote and what isn't, so it will mark those. My EE on turnitin showed 14% similarity. So 14% of it was 'plagiarised'. Did I panic? No, because on closer inspection, this turned out to be book titles and quotations...

• Like 1

The point is that I have used Viper which publishes papers after at 9 months.

please give some advice

Here's my advice: 

1. Don't post twice in a row, edit your previous post. 

2. Seems like no one has the answer for you so...

3. Talk to your IBC, cause they're the only person who can actually do something about it e.g. inform the IBO that you put your paper through other anti plagiarism software. 

• 5 months later...

Honestly, you yourself should know if you have plagiarized something. However, if you just want to be on the safe side before turning your work on turnitin.com (totally understand), I would recommend using paperrater.com. I would also use it for "just in case" grammatical mistakes if you want to avoid minor errors. :) 

29 minutes ago, Axorea said:

Honestly, you yourself should know if you have plagiarized something. However, if you just want to be on the safe side before turning your work on turnitin.com (totally understand), I would recommend using paperrater.com. I would also use it for "just in case" grammatical mistakes if you want to avoid minor errors. :) 

Please don't bring up old topics