What is Math HL like?

IBgrl28x

Hello,

Well I am taking Math HL and i see it as a challenging subject. It requires continuous revision. You must do many questions and they should vary. You are trying to optomize your knowledge on the subject. Make sure that you do not cram and study an entire topic a day before the exam. It doesnt work. Short term memory will cause you to panik while you're writing your test.

Hey everyone! Next year I am taking IB Math HL and I'm not really sure what to expect ... I heard its quite the challenege, and people that have gotten high 90's in honors classes are now getting 70's. What makes this class so hard?? This really scared me because I like math - when I'm good at it! This year I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry honors, which was an honors course for trig algebra II and some precalc. I received an overall average of 99 this year, but what will happen to me next year? Any input is greatly appreciated =)

Good for you. Just go for it since you said that you love Maths. That is only what you need apart from being good at it. I believe that you can score. Well, I have to admit that Math HL is kind of challenging for me. But, I like it!!! Good Luck to you.

Hey everyone! Next year I am taking IB Math HL and I'm not really sure what to expect ... I heard its quite the challenege, and people that have gotten high 90's in honors classes are now getting 70's. What makes this class so hard?? This really scared me because I like math - when I'm good at it! This year I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry honors, which was an honors course for trig algebra II and some precalc. I received an overall average of 99 this year, but what will happen to me next year? Any input is greatly appreciated =)

HI

I think you will probably find it on the easier side as you have already done pre calculus which is one of the hardest. But you need to put in effort to get a 7. there is a lot applications and the questions will involve 2 to 3 topics.In our exam we had question that involved Trigno, mathematical induction and complex nos. the portfolios are quite hard. chose your options wisely. dont take math HL unless the course that you are planing to do requires you do it.

That's true about you getting only about 70% or 80% of the grades, but don't worry, as it will still be a '7' or a '6'. The truth is, if you mess it up, everybody around you messes it up, so relax. I'm taking Maths HL and it's ok so far. Plus the teacher told us that it is unlikely that even the teachers will get over 95% when they write the exams (or even 90% for that matter), so be satisfyed with a 80%.

I think any math is good for you if you a) work hard b) practise and one more thing my math teacher said if your a math HL student and then put into SL your not gna get full marks in it beacuse you start to say its easy and all and then u slack or mentally without paying attention, my friend was bio HL for two months and Math Sl she went to bio SL and math studies she is not the best in those classes but to be fair she is the fifth on those classes.

Im taking math SL only caz my school will NEVER open it up but if they had that i will think about it. Oh and the Secret to math is pratise it really is my math teacher for the IG told us if you go into the externals and solved 10 years of past papers you will 100% get a A star and me and another student did so and we got it!!, lets hope the same for IB

• 3 weeks later...

i have taken math hl and it's not that difficult. you just need time and some amount of focus to get through. just one suggestion.....don't take physics, chemistry and physics all at hl. it really screws you up coz you don't have ne time left for the other ib stuff like internals and cas and stuff

• 2 weeks later...
i agree with buddy. maths hl can be a challenge though it's very do-able. all you have to do is loads of past papers which helps you learn the trick to answering those annoying questions.

its definitely manageable. get a tutor before hand if you anticipate major difficulties. As long as you do your homework every night, its not bad at all.

Oh man, I'm in Math SL and that class is pretty difficult.

I think the class would be easier if the teacher focused a little bit more though. For some reason, he LOVES telling jokes and anecdotes. He can go half a period most days.

Our previous math SL scores average out at 2. :P

It's pretty sad. Especially, when our Math Studies average 5-6.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeh, generally what I hear is people who take Math HL and Physics HL have problems getting it all done

Do not take Math HL if you are planning to take History HL or an art HL as the workload is too great then.

If you work 2 hours for every time you have a math class you should be fine, if you don't you are screwed.

Get your Portfolios done soon on breaks with little work so you have more study time in the vital last weeks before exams

I am getting 7s but our teacher is amazing so that is also a factor- ask students in a class higher on how the teacher is and also base your decision on that if he is not planning on leaving,

• 3 weeks later...