What is Math HL like?

IBgrl28x

Hey everyone! Next year I am taking IB Math HL and I'm not really sure what to expect ... I heard its quite the challenege, and people that have gotten high 90's in honors classes are now getting 70's. What makes this class so hard?? This really scared me because I like math - when I'm good at it! This year I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry honors, which was an honors course for trig algebra II and some precalc. I received an overall average of 99 this year, but what will happen to me next year? Any input is greatly appreciated =)

Edited by IBgrl28x

Hey everyone! Next year I am taking IB Math HL and I'm not really sure what to expect ... I heard its quite the challenege, and people that have gotten high 90's in honors classes are now ing 70's. What makes this class so hard?? This really scared me because I like math - when I'm good at it! gettThis year I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry honors, which was an honors course for trig algebra II and some precalc. I received an overall average of 99 this year, but what will happen to me next year? Any input is greatly appreciated =)

hello,

I took maths higher level and to be fair, it is not as hard as said. Still, we were 6 at the beginning of the year, 1 dropped immediatly to studies, and i was the only one who passed the internal first-year exam. however, except from one, we all carry on with it. Managing Maths higher level is not impossible but needs a lot of time, as well as physics hl. I struggled at the beginning because of my lack of english and i wasn't used to work-which changed a lot now^^.

If you like maths, take it as a hl, but don't expect to get good marks from the very beginning, and it will get harder towards the end. nevertheless, I took it, and i don't regret it at all, it's so interesting, we do things others do when studying maths the first year in university.

If you were really good at maths previously you'll manage it, if you didn't just learn passed papers by heard but really understood your stuff. Learning stuff by heart doesn't help at the ib-except voc. for languages;)

there are so few girls doing maths higher (i'm the only one from my year), do it but keep on with the stuff all the time!

greetings

blubberle

Judging by your grades and positive attitude to Maths, I think you probably need to take it as it comes and not freak yourself out about it before you've started. It will take lots of time and effort, but that goes for everything else. So take a deep breath and get your hands on some good textbooks.

Also, if you find a lot of trouble with it and want to drop down (this is a big, big IF, you don't even have to think about that now), Maths SL is about half of the HL syllabus.

Just don't stress and do your best.

Also, if you find a lot of trouble with it and want to drop down (this is a big, big IF, you don't even have to think about that now), Maths SL is about half of the HL syllabus.

To be more precise, Math SL is almost the same as HL content-wise, but none of the topics go nearly as deep, so it's a lot easier.

To be more precise, Math SL is almost the same as HL content-wise, but none of the topics go nearly as deep, so it's a lot easier.

No way! what about complex numbers? induction? just to say two.. HL students have to do all SL have to do, but a lot deeper + a lot more! just have a look at the syllabus. that's why you have 4 h HL and only 2 h SL in the second year. Math HL is a lot more than SL

to be precise;)

your teacher probably said.. and the HLs have to do this in more detail and that.. but he won't tell you all the this he does with them-what for? :)

EXAM IN 10! MONTHS

Edited by Blubberle

To be fair, after having done the exams, it's not that bad provided you can stay dedicated to it. Despite all the hullabaloo about the harder exams this year, the exams actually test how well you respond to pressure.

Dedication to the subject is most important, doing tons of past papers and submitting a decent IA.

The content in math HL is goes both deeper and beyond the SL syllabus, however, that is not where i see the major problem with math HL.

Most of the content that is in math HL can be learnt by most people but in math HL you need to know it all very very well.

You should be able to read the question and then see from that how to find the answer, solving problems is not the hard part but solving them fast.

I spend a lot of time on math solving problems even though i already know how to solve them, you have to come accustomed on the way that they want you to solve it.

In the end your grade will be assessed on how well you take the test, and you should train on answering the "IB" questions.

When taking the first test in math HL everyone in my class basically failed, and still our teacher was satisfied with us.

But you seem to like math so i think you do well with the content, but watch out so that you don't slack I know some really smart people who did bad just because they thought they knew

the stuff but just weren't fast enough on the test. So devote time on math HL, it is probebly one of the most time consuming subjects in the IB. (if not the #1 time consuming)

The only problem which comes to my mind with Maths HL is the lack of time when doing papers. there's a lot of tasks and many ppl i know scored pretty bad during their final exam because they didn't have an opportunity to try to do some problems simply cause they run out of time.

If you like maths and you won\'t have to analyse same type of problem anytime you see it but you will remember more or less how to do it, you're gonna pass well

From my observations: maths hl problems are based on schemes > you learn the scheme > you have greater chance to pass well

Learning schemes+ being fast+ loving/liking maths = more or less 6 unless you get really stressed

Hey everyone! Next year I am taking IB Math HL and I'm not really sure what to expect ... I heard its quite the challenege, and people that have gotten high 90's in honors classes are now getting 70's. What makes this class so hard?? This really scared me because I like math - when I'm good at it! This year I took Intermediate Algebra and trigonometry honors, which was an honors course for trig algebra II and some precalc. I received an overall average of 99 this year, but what will happen to me next year? Any input is greatly appreciated =)

Hey

The class is somewhat challenging, but if you do the prep, you will be fine. Remember that the standards arent the same for honours and IB classes. You arent necessarily expected to get every question, but you should aim to do the ones you attempt correctly. So focus on getting the question you do right, not the percentage. I had high 90s for math in precal, i get 70s now, and I've been predicted a 6-7. You'll be fine if you do the perparation. Good luck!

jjestel

Math HL takes a lot of time to be good at it and even when you have finished a chapter it is not the end of it,it will keep reappearing and the thing is each topic has small nuances which easily slip your mind unless you are really consistent with the math other than that it is manageable.If math is your passion you should take HL but if your grades matter more take SL.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently taking Maths Higher LEvel and i am really enjoying the subject but at the same time i'm finding it quite challenging.

You cover a lot of material very quickly so unless you keep going back it is easy to forget how to do some of the more intricate parts of certain topics.

I would only take it if you really enjoy maths or are looking to take a university course that requires it.

I'm taking HL at the moment and i think everyone who likes math are capable of doing well in this course. All you will need to have is commitment and your willingness to spend hours and hours of studying every week. The key to this course and i believe it is also the same for the other courses is to practice and practice. good luck =]

If you like Math, you'll be fine. Just be prepared to work - no slacking off at all or you'll fall behind, and since the course moves very quickly, it will be a pain to catch up. Your raw score will obviously fall by quite a bit, but with a little work, the elusive 7 isn't so far away after conversions. Good luck! :bawling:

• 2 months later...