Can we do photography in IB visual arts?

Daddydang

Yes, it is.

Just make sure that according to the category you are (A or B) you can write and elaborate enough about it on your Workbook.

In my school, however, the teacher encourages us to work more on other media/techniques. She thinks that examiners might look at them as some sort of "I just wanted to fill my studioworks to the maximum number allowed" or something like that.

You should make sure though you are very confident in your skills. If you are planning on getting a 7, IB expects that you are very well informed in the field of photography as well as have a certain visual sensitivity.

Make sure you know what you are trying to bring across ;)

e.g a picture of a flower with an explanations - beauty in nature - would not do it, if you however refer to other artists working with flowers e.g Mapplethorpe and say you aim to abolish the way in which we perceive everyday objects (similarly to Magritte), give life to what we consider dead, set new demands on reality and the way of perceiving the world balblabla.

From what I have seen the biggest struggle, people who do photography have is lack of a clear purpose.

Just thought I would throw that out there so you can think about it.

Good luck