CAS Requirements - Questions

This topic concerns the statement made by charlotteee ( http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/5-ib-students-starter-pack-ib-faq-syllabus-links/ )

Furthermore, the CAS Requirements starting with the Class of 2010 (currently IB1), have been changed to prevent what has been suggested above (finishing all CAS in the first year/over the summer). Each student must now take part in a Long-Term project/activity that last for at least the duration of the two IB years.

1)First of all, are the requirements stated above still up-to-date? (or: Do they still affect me if I start the IB in September 2014/ exams: May 2016?)

2) And what exactly is meant with the " Long-Term project/activity that last for at least the duration of the two IB years"?

3) Are there any other general information about CAS in general?

My school says we must have about 50 hours each of C,A &S (total 150), but it doesn't have to be exactly 50, ie you could have 6o hrs of Creativity, and 40 of Action, as long as there is some balance between the 3 aspects.

For the Extended Project, we've been told that it must be a collaborative project for at least 10 weeks (recommended 1 hr a week) including at least 2 of the 3 elements of CAS eg Creativity and Service.

Yes, I believe that would count. It would fall under all aspects of CAS I think, because you're helping out without payment (Service), you're teaching them on your own (Creativity), and you end up doing a bit of sport yourself (Action). I know someone who taught dance and counted it for all 3 aspects of CAS, so you're probably fine with that. :)

For the "Extended Project," my school implements the 18-month project, and we are required to have at least 2 hours per month for the project. As far as I know, the hours can be in any of the CAS categories and there is not a limit to how many hours you can get. Also, I would doubt that there would be a maximum or limit to how many hours you could get. I would think that the IBO would want you to help/volunteer/ or involve yourself as much as possible. That being said, my coordinator told us that while she will accept logs for hours (since these documented hours can be used for scholarships) after 150 has been reached, she does not want any more reflections after the requirement has been met, since it would just waste her time if she were to read them.

Oh and as far as the football example, there shouldn't be a limit. I have kids in my class who get all of their action hours by doing just Cross Country, etc...

There aren't limitations as such but you are required to show that you took part in several activities rather than just one. Also, when you write up your CAS portfolio you need to show evidence of meting the 8 CAS learning outcomes, which can be found here http://fhsib.org/bvsd/CAS/CAS_Learning_Outcomes.pdf (have a read of the second page, but don't worry your school will inform you on how to form your CAS portfolio when the time comes)

I think different schools do CAS differently (following the basic guidelines still in a way or another). We don't do an "extended project" (never even heard of it) but simply a project that has to incorporate at least two of creativity/action/service and go on for at least 3 months. Also, there is a minimum amount of activities we have to do for each category (each activity has to be 5-6 at least to make sure we actually have time to accomplish somehing). That said, once you've filled your minimum (it's not officially stated though, we just can't do one thing and count it as all the 50 hours for something) you can add "smaller" activities (like I did one of 2, just to get another of global importance).

We also have to do written reflections in addition to any photographs/drawings etc. Or if we don't want to write we can record ourselves (someone in my class recorded all his reflections and handed them in like that. Our teacher had to listen to about 5 hours of CAS reflections haha :P )

^It is true, yes. Different schools do CAS differently.

However, there are a few general things all need to do:

a) need to have done CAS over a period of 18 months.
b) need to present evidence in the CAS diary that you have achieved the learning outcomes
c) need to achieve around 150 hours (it is no longer an exact number)
d) The CAS project needs to combine two or three of the CAS components and needs to be a project of minimum 10 hours

I gotcha.

From what my CAS coordinator told my class:

CAS Activities must be:

- Unpaid

- Supervised by an adult over 21 years of age (who is also not a family member)

- Not part of a school credit

Additionally:

- There must be one activity that lasts for at least 18 months.

- At least one activity must be completed while working with a team or group.

- At least one activity must be initiated, planned, organized, and fulfilled by the student.

- At least one activity must be global in nature.

CAS has Key Learning Outcomes, which must be reflected on when reviewing the activity. Don't worry about the length of the reflection; as long as you have some of these (not necessarily all with just one activity), and you REALLY reflect on the activity, it will show in your work, and your coordinator shouldn't get on to you about your reflections. I personally write about the activity, how it impacted me and others, and how this shows one or two of the Key Learning Outcomes.

Formats for reflection: written, discussion, presentations, blogs, etc.

*Whenever writing, you don't have to write formally; this is a reflection and when reviewing yourself, your thoughts probably aren't formal, so in order to make them more personal and connect more to your coordinator, make them honest and easy to read.

Reflection and Self-Evaluation:

Broad Overview:

What did I plan to do?

What did I do?

What were the outcomes, for me, the team I was working with, and others affected by the activity?

*Details: consider when needed or appropriate, the perspectives of yourself and others during each state of the activity.

- Summarize what you did in the activity and how you interacted with others. Include planning, fulfillment, and any follow-up.

-Explain what you wished to accomplish through this activity and how these goals were fulfilled (or not: :hmmm: it seems that IB people love it when things don't work out and you are able to reflect on it) and/or how they evolved into other accomplishments and goals. What was the VALUE of the activity to you and others involved?

-Address problems, difficulties, and challenges faced in the completion of the activity and how they affected you, the project, and the final outcome.

- Detail which of the 8 Key Learning Outcomes were accomplished and how those outcomes affected you and those whom you worked.

8 Key Learning Outcomes:

1. Increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth

- They are able to see themselves as individuals with various skills and abilities, some more developed

than others, and understand that they can make choices about how they wish to move forward.

2. Undertaken new challenges

- These may be unfamiliar activities, or extensions to existing ones.

3. Planned and initiated activities

- Planning and initiation can be independent or in collaboration with others.

4. Worked collaboratively with others

- At least one project, involving collaboration and the integration of at least two areas of CAS (Creativity,

Action Service) is required.

5. Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities

- At a minimum, this implies attending regularly and accepting a share of the responsibility for dealing with

problems that arise in the course of activities.

6. Engaged with issues of global importance

- Students should be involved in at least one international project. Global issues can be acted upon locally

or nationally, if the student's activities benefit a population outside the USA.

7. Considered the ethical implications of their actions

- Evidence of thinking about and considering ethical issues can be shown in various ways, including journal

entries and conversations with CAS advisers.

Now, I had a tough time with this one for a while, but here are some questions to get your mind rolling:

- In what ways did you act with integrity and honesty in this activity?

- In what ways did you find the activity required you to make reasoned, ethical decisions?

- How did the activity expose the attributes of a good team worker/leader?

- How did this activity expose the attributes of a good person?

- Did participating in the activity provoke emotions in you or the participants, and how were these

emotions dealt with?

- Did the activity assist in introducing or reinforcing obligations that we have as a member of society?

- Were there any issues raised in this activity that relate to maintaining a sustainable natural or economic

movement?

- What are some of the key personal attributes required to work fairly and justly with other people? How

were they evident inthis activity?

- Were you required to adhere to any rules/obligations in doing this activity? How well did you adhere to

them?

- Did participating in the activity question or conflict in any way with the cultural/social/religious

guidelines in which the activity

was held?

Whew :surrender:

8. Developed new skills

- New skills may be shown in activities that the student has not previously undertaken, or in increased

expertise in an established area.

CAS isn't difficult. Just remember to keep up wit your reflections and logs and you should be good :clap: . Unfortunately, many people don't get their diploma because of something as easy as this, and while I can understand this (just finished my reflections from October...), it isn't worth it to fall behind when we have so much other stuff to do.

Also, remember that CAS activities shouldn't be pointless fundraisers, family events, or religious activities. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Edited by IBidiot
  • Like 2

I gotcha.

From what my CAS coordinator told my class:

CAS Activities must be:

- Unpaid

- Supervised by an adult over 21 years of age (who is also not a family member)

- Not part of a school credit

WOW :D That was more than helpful :) Thank you!

Also: 1)So basically your reflection (if it is written) has 4 paragraphs (Summarise, Explain, Address, Detail... where 'Detail' is very likely the biggest one?)

2) Is it better to have many small activities (and of each of them you do only e.g. 5 hours) or are activities followed through for a longer period of time better? Does it even matter?

Yes, detail is probably my largest paragraph which makes sense :turned: . As far as activities, you could do both small and big. For example: every year I do Model United Nations and I estimate that during the event, I will probably spend around 10 or so hours actually participating. For a larger activity such as Key Club, I estimated that I would easily have 100+ hours, and for certain charities or tutoring programmes I help out with, I estimated maybe between 30-50 hours. Either way, activities can be large or small as long as they are significant in terms of the Key Learning Outcomes. I think what the coordinators and IBO wants to see is that you have had the chance and time to grow or improve in some way during the activity, and sometimes, if the activity is too short, this wouldn't be evident in you reflections, since of course, there wouldn't have been enough time to show improvement.

3) If you do your extended project as mentioned above and it covers "Creativity" and the "Service" and you do it for 30 hours in total.

Would you say that you have 30 Creativity hours and 30 Service hours... so 60 hours in total. (So basically 90 out of 150 left.)

or

would you say that you either have 30 Creativity hours and 30 Service hours (but NOT both!)? (So basically 120 out of 150 left.)

or

could you split them and say that you got 19 Action hours and 11 Service hours from that project?

Thanks

If you do an activity for 30 hours and it covers both Creativity and Service, you couldn't count 30 for both. Instead, you would have to document exactly which hours went to Creativity and which ones to Service. For me, I might estimate (example) 30 hours for Key Club. So maybe for 10 hours this month, I have made posters and decorated the board and whatnot for events; and then maybe for another 20 hours, I helped do service activities. So, on my log and reflections I would put that I did creative stuff for 10 hours, and service for 20, for a total of 30 hours.

They just want you to document exactly which activities within the larger project went to which category in CAS.

Also, I read somewhere that your CAS portfolio should be no longer than 10 pages long (excluding the signed forms, which should be for activities of 10+ hours). We also have been told that you need to write about half a page (maximum, roughly speaking) for each learning outcome talking about how you have met it within your activities. Hope this helps! :)

... no longer than 10 pages long (excluding the signed forms, which should be for activities of 10+ hours). ...

Are you implementing that activities which I did for less than 10 hours (let us say 4hrs) do not require a signed form? So i can just say (with evidence) that i did these 4 hours?

... At least from my school, there always has to be documentation so that way you can prove you did the activity. For this type of question, you might want to ask your future coordinator. Also, I can easily say that my CAS portfolio is longer than 10 pages. My coordinator likes us to have at least half a page reflection with there being no maximu, but I don't think many people go over 2 pages.

• 2 weeks later...