Would this count as Service? - CAS

1) Yes, if you are helping a class without getting paid that's service.

2) Yes, I took MUN and it counted creativity.

3) Yes, the math club at my school gives creativity hours to members.

4) Yes, you can complete all 150 hours in the first year and many people do do so. This doesn't mean you shouldn't also do more hours than the minimum requirement. CAS activities can be fun and rewarding experiences.

• Like 2

Would babysitting count as service?

Yes, but just make sure that you aren't paid

Ok thanks :) (yeah, i understood that if you're getting paid, it doesn't count as service or any CAS)

Can you do a CAS activity for like 1 or 2 hours only, get it signed and write reflection? Or is there a minimum amount of hours you have to do before it counts?

Our school told us that any activity under 10 hours does not need to be signed off by a supervisor, so if you've done an hour here or there you don't need to worry about signing it off. The IBO aren't exactly going to follow up every single activity you do, I highly doubt they have the time to do that :P

Honestly, I could agree with the above post that short CAS activities may not be out of bounds, but I think what the IB wants is to see a change in the student or at least an activity that allows for an appropriate reflection. However, my CAS supervisor actually just sent my class an email for helping out with a marathon in a nearby city. This of course won't take too long to do, so in conclusion, some supervisors may be okay with you doing short activities. I would just check with your school's policies/preferences first, though.