Biology HL Paper 1 and Paper 2 - November 2013

jeanlean

Paper 1 was very easy which was nice :) Paper 2 was good too, the Extended Response questions were all good. Didn't study action spectrum for photosynthesis very much though so it was annoying that it was a compulsory question.

Overall I think both Paper 1 and 2 were fair and there weren't really any surprises on the papers.

I'm happy everyone didn't expect the action spectrum :) Even i got that wrong. What did you guys write for that enzyme question in MCQs? The one where the enzyme activity is supposed to decrease gradually

I put substrate concentration ... because decreasing the pH or temperature can increase enzyme activity ... if its beyond the optimum...

Paper 1 was really easy, thankfully.

Paper 2... the stats question was harder than 2012 (but it was still alright) .. but section B was HEAVEN!

Overall, they were both very good papers :)

all the best for your bio results :)

I'm happy everyone didn't expect the action spectrum :) Even i got that wrong. What did you guys write for that enzyme question in MCQs? The one where the enzyme activity is supposed to decrease gradually

I put substrate concentration ... because decreasing the pH or temperature can increase enzyme activity ... if its beyond the optimum...

Paper 2... the stats question was harder than 2012 (but it was still alright) .. but section B was HEAVEN!

I got substrate concentration too! Thank god Bio is over :)

• Like 1

ah i didn't think of that. Thank god i chose that anyway! hahaha Yay!

Like everyone else I thought paper 1 was really quite nice as was paper 2. The section B question were all doable which I find is rarely the case, there's usually at least one part that would let me down. I chose questions 7 and 8.

As for paper 3 I did neurobiology(E) and ecology(G) and they were both all right nothing horrendous but not fantastic either.

All in all I think biology has had the nicest exam writers yet.

The papers were pretty fair and generally consistent with what's been in past years, which was nice :) I absolutely loved paper 3 as well, the questions for our options were so nice

I hated Paper 3 :/ What options did you do?

We did G and E, neuro and ecology. The questions were really straightforward and pretty easy to bs if you didn't know the exact answer, although I find with biology that's usually the case anyway...

The papers were pretty fair and generally consistent with what's been in past years, which was nice :) I absolutely loved paper 3 as well, the questions for our options were so nice

We did G and E, neuro and ecology. The questions were really straightforward and pretty easy to bs if you didn't know the exact answer, although I find with biology that's usually the case anyway...

In option E, how do the cones and rods attach to optic nerve/whatever that question was? I said it's one cell as opposed to multiple cells but I've never seen it phrased like it was.

Edited by zxcvbnm

In option E, how do the cones and rods attach to optic nerve/whatever that question was? I said it's one cell as opposed to multiple cells but I've never seen it phrased like it was.

I wrote one cone cell is connected to one optic nerve whereas up to 200 rod cells is connected to one optic nerve.

I'm more concerned about that question about "outline the challenges in experiments involving human behavior". Never seen that in the syllabus. Hahahha. Option E felt more of a psychology paper.

Edited by kanata_zero

I wrote one cone cell is connected to one optic nerve whereas up to 200 rod cells is connected to one optic nerve.

I'm more concerned about that question about "outline the challenges in experiments involving human behavior". Never seen that in the syllabus. Hahahha. Option E felt more of a psychology paper.

I found the human behaviour question pretty odd as well! I just talked about ethical implications and uncontrollable variables such as emotions in humans, I'm hoping I can scrape up a few marks with that ahah

I found the human behaviour question pretty odd as well! I just talked about ethical implications and uncontrollable variables such as emotions in humans, I'm hoping I can scrape up a few marks with that ahah

That question was weird. I had a quick look at the syllabus but couldn't see anything related to it. It's obvious that it is difficult to control but actually saying why was quite hard.

Paper 1: A PIECE OF CAKEEE (though there were like 4 or 3 questions i was not completely sure about, including the one of enzyme activity but i also put substrate concentration

Paper 2: data analysis mm more less, short questions they were all nice except for the action spectrum -.-, essay questions... mm I think I did well I chose 7 and 8. I only had trouble at 7 where one of the questions that was worth 6 points asked about the models for enzyme activity... I was nervous and ended up talking about two models hahaha I was not completely sure.

Paper 3: My options were option E and H. I found Option H really easy as I only studied 30 minutes of that option just before the exam started hahahaha and the data analysis for paper 3 were really easy!!

Good luck for everyone let's go for the 7 !!!! :D

did anyone do option D? (evolution)

I found the data analysis bit pretty hard.

Yeah I did option D and E. I agree, it was quite difficult to understand what it was actually trying to say. Ended up guessing a lot of it but I hope it was enough to get some points :confused: