Math and Music IA

Maks123456

Hey guys,

I'm doing my Math IA and I've bumped into a rock.

My topic is Music in Mathematics.

What I need is a computer program that can transfer a simple musical note's frequency into a sine (and cosine) curve. I.e. you plug in a note's frequency (for example note A4, frequency 440 Hz)) and it presents you with the note's curve.

Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with this before?

Anything would be of help. Thank you!

Hey guys,

What I need is a computer program that can transfer a simple musical note's frequency into a sine (and cosine) curve. I.e. you plug in a note's frequency (for example note A4, frequency 440 Hz)) and it presents you with the note's curve.

example 4 is quite the same..

but it took 9/20

http://14.140.95.113/r/ib-diploma-program/pdfs/teachers%20resource%20material/Math%20HL%20&%20SL/Maths%20HL/xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql_doc%3dd_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e%26part%3d2%26chapter%3d6.html

Hey guys,

but it took 9/20

http://14.140.95.113/r/ib-diploma-program/pdfs/teachers%20resource%20material/Math%20HL%20&%20SL/Maths%20HL/xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group5/d_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1/html/content/exist/rest/app/tsm.xql_doc%3dd_5_matsl_tsm_1205_1_e%26part%3d2%26chapter%3d6.html

Actually, it's not.

I'm discussing Fourier series and analysis and complex tones.

So please, if you don't have any idea about my IA (as apparently, you did not), don't criticize.

Edited by Maks123456

Hey guys,

but it took 9/20

Actually, it's not.

So please, if you don't have any idea about my IA (as apparently, you did not), don't criticize.

ok:)) no worries. I didnt understand your topic and I am sure that I didnt want to offend you

Actually, it's not.

I'm sure ninale was simply trying to help you. Either way I don't know much about programming but I highly suggest you read through Example 4 and the comments it was given to make sure that you don't lose marks in the same way the example did. Hopefully someone will help you with your programming issue soon, and if nobody does maybe you should ask for help from a teacher?

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what kind of control you want with it. There are a couple of free graphing programs out there like MathGV which would suffice for plotting various functions.

If you are ok with doing a bit of programming, you could also look at something like PyX which is a graphing package for Python. It may be a little too over the top for a maths IA, but it has a couple of useful features like integration with LaTeX documents and is fairly customizable.

Edited by ctrls

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend you go and ask for help to a physics teacher (or read a little bit of physics), it is common to graph frequencies, and it may help you.

Don´t wait for a program that does it for you, it isn´t hard to do in a normal graphing calculator (if you wait for a program you may loose valuable time).

I am also dealing with something similar, althoug I am not going to graph the waves.

Good Luck.