Is maths studies ok for science field?

angieeee

Hi there:)

I chose Chinese Lit SL, Maths SL, Econ SL and English B HL, Chem HL and Bio HL, but I'm struggling in Maths SL... I want to go to chemistry field in HK universities and I'm good at chem, but is it OK to switch it to Maths studies? Will it affect my admission to universities? I can definitely get a 7 in maths studies, I mean.

Thank you in advance:)

I would be wary about doing math studies if you want to go into chemistry. Check with the specific university websites to be sure, but coming personally from someone who originally entered university to study chemistry and then switched over to engineering, chemistry is a ton of math. Higher level math. Math that isn't covered in math studies math (my university requires calculus 1, 2, 3, and differential equations for chemistry students, to give you an indication of what math you'll use). If the university doesn't have a math requirement, you'd probably be ok to enter with math studies, but you'll need to take a lot of math courses once you're in there to catch up. You might want to stick it out in SL math.

Check with the University but most likely no. You still have plently of time to improve, I was struggling with Maths SL a lot in first year too but now I'm getting 6s & 7s on all the past papers I've done. In my opinion, Maths SL gets easier as you go, the topics may get harder but you get used to IB style questions and later topics can help you a lot with earlier topics.

There's no point of getting 7 in Math studies if your program obviously requires heavy maths. I would say that almost if not all Science programs should have at least Math SL as a pre-requisite, and on top of that, I don't think that math studies will be appropriate if you want to go into chemistry.