What HLs?

Tilia

I'll start the diploma in August and can't make up my mind about the HLs, partly beacuse I haven't got a clue about what to do in the future.

Right now, my chosen subjects are Swedish A1 HL, German B HL, Philosophy SL, Chemistry HL, Maths SL and Physics SL. However, I'm considering to take maths HL and German SL. Could someone please tell me about the main difference between maths SL and HL, except that HL is a lot harder?

Standard Level students study a subset of the material Higher Level students study, though to lesser depth (190 hours versus 240 hours). The core consists of these topics:

* Number and algebra

* Functions and equations

* Circular functions and trigonometry

* Vector geometry

* Matrices and transformations

* Statistics

* Probability

* Calculus

In addition to the core material, Higher Level candidates choose one optional topic from the following:

* Further statistics

* Sets, relations, and groups

* Discrete mathematics

* Differential equations and series

* (Euclidean geometry and conic sections was once an option but was removed with the 2004 curriculum revision and no longer appeared on HL exams as of the May 2006 exam session)

Source: Wikipedia.

If you're great at German, German B HL is an easy course, believe me!

From what I've heard, Maths HL is a tough one, however you don't know wheter you will need Maths for future or not, soo..

I am quite good at German, the point is that I don't always like the lessons, the teacher isn't that good. Besides, I've been talking to people taking French B and they said there isn't really a difference between how much HL and SL learn, it's just that HL has harder tests and then what's the point of HL?

If I take German HL, I'll be the only one in my year having HL, so I feel a bit left out. But I would like to speak it as well as possible, so I really don't know... :good:

• 1 month later...
Your English is good! Just a suggestion

Why don't you take English HL?

You can't be serious. How can you judge someone's level of English based on a few forum posts? Last time I checked, it wasn't about grammar, but literary analysis...

On a side note, I've always been informed that every candidate must have at least one of the working languages of IB as a subject. You don't seem to have English/French/Spanish, have you checked with your IBC that this is ok? You might have to apply for a non-regulatory diploma you see.

Hi. As far as I know, Math HL is much more difficult than Math SL. My school does not normally offer higher level since there are so many students who switch to standard. Two years ago, 11 students at my school entered the HL course, but only 3 of them ended up taking the HL exams (the rest of them switched to SL during the year).

Ett råD: Välj endast Mathematics HL om du verkligen gillar matte och fick bra betyg (MVG) i pre-IB-matten. :(

Själv hatar jag matte. Därav Math Studies för min del! :(

Edited by stylusdef

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't got the option of taking a second language at HL, but I do take maths HL. Only take it if you need it for uni, are genuinely good at maths, are hardworking or want to keep your options open. It sounds like you would prefer to take German B HL but could you try taking four and drop one after you've had a good taste of what they're like? A lot of people know within a class or two if Maths HL is for them.

I take math HL but i do not take a B language.

From what i know about taking a B language it seems easy to get a good grade, atleast if you have studied the language before in sweden.

(all people taking B languages had 6 or 7's in our school, except swedish B) so you will probebly do fine in either HL or SL german.

Commenting on thatgirl post HL also study some more topics for example

Mathematical induction, complex numbers which is still included in the HL core, but is not at all in SL core.

The major difference between SL and HL math is the amount of time spent on the subject, even though maybe the hours

are a bit different you will spend a LOT more time on HL math, you have to be good and intrested in math to take HL.

But as you seem to consider it i take that you are, math HL gives you a lot, and even though it is not often a requirment

it is definatly a big bonus. Take for example oxford, on their economics cource it is not required to have math HL or equivalent,

however, 96% yeah that is right 96% has math HL or equivalent. One big thing that you should also take in mind, school is not just

about getting grades, it is also about learning, and in math HL you learn a lot. The class usually contains only motivated people (me being the exception to confirm the rule)

But above all math HL just makes you smarter... yes indead... you get smarter... not kidding, you develop your brain

atleast if you do i right.

I understand from your posts that you want to be as good as you can in german, but i think that the difference between how much you will learn

will be quit insignificant if compared to the amount extra you would learn in math HL. Also considering university, i would suggest that you either take

Math HL and german SL or have both HL (as the course load will not increase that much between german SL and HL, you will only have harder marking i think

as normally the classes are combined with the national programs lessons, atleast on my school.)

But talk to your IB coordinator before school starts, he/she can probebly tell you what is right in your case.

(should be noted i love HL math and think that if you can take it you should take it to help yourself)

P.S. pm me your school name