Math IA spread of infection, BMI

NikosM

Hello guys

I'm having problems coming up with a topic on Math IA. I wanted to go with health/medicine related topics exclusively and I came across the topics of BodyMassIndex change over time, as well as a spread of Infectious disease model (I'm attaching both as well as a specimen paper - Example 11 - I found was awesome and super concise albeit quite simple and I would like my study to be somehow similar!).

The BMI study essentially portrayed the distribution of percentiles for each country (in page 5) as well as the change in BMI from 199something-200something (in page 7). If someone could take a quick look and/or suggest anything I could do with relation to BMI it would be of great help

Now, the spread of infectious disease is a study where some researchers used computers and search queries to find messages on twitter which indicated the writer of the tweet was sick. Much more fun and interesting study! The main thing I can base my IA on is the couple of graphs 3 pages before the end. They have to do with conditional probability but I can't really grasp what how I could use conditional probability to determine probability of catching a disease.

The two conditions they have set in their study is (a) Time Window during which n friends on twitter are in physical contact as well as (b) number n of twitter friends which come in contact. Please help guys I have absolutely no idea how to apply the conditional probability formula on this and what possibly could I use for a personal example!

Sorry if this is a bit overwhelming but I think this Math IA is the hardest thing I've been required to do this summer! Even though I'm SL

Anyways some help would be appreciated, thanks!

11B. IBO Ex 11 (anotated).pdf

BMI.pdf

Spread of Disease.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually did something similar to that for my IA, but rather than looking at probability I worked with exponents and formulated an equation through data provided and worked with that. It wasn't overly complicated, I was actually afraid that it would be too simple but since it contained math that was from the syllabus and i had to use logs and the "e" value (forget what its called" I scored fairly well on it.