What are the requirements and guidelines for CAS? Also, I need ideas for Action?

So I'm a bit confused because I heard from my IB Coordinator that you don't need to count every single one of the 150 hours because IB changed it two years ago to something with number of projects per category and 8 outcomes. However, I don't know the details and the IBO website doesn't say anything either so I was hoping someone could clarify the exact requirements for CAS. What exactly is required in place of the former 50 hours per category? What goals need to be achieved?

Also, I'm struggling to find ideas for the Action component. I'm not much of an athlete, never have been, so most sports are out of question because I'm an just a pathetic failure at them. I was wondering if volunteering at a build site for Habitat for Humanity would count (as service and action) because you are doing construction work which takes effort. Besides that, I'm probably going to continue swimming (only sport which I'm half decent at) and I'm considering taking up horse riding (because I love and interact well with animals), only problem is that it seems a bit pricey ($50/lesson). So, if you have any ideas for Action which aren't common sports which I've already tried (ex. soccer, basketball, hockey etc.), please suggest them because this is the only category I have problems with.

Yeah, it goes by the number of projects instead of hours. My IB coordinator said we should do atleast 15 projects in total, so 5 projects for each category; we did a lot more than that of course. And basically, it should reflect in your CAS journal that you have fulfilled each CAS outcome atleast once; a project can have multiple outcomes. Also that you have developed as an individual and developed awareness (this comes under service).

For action, you can swim as you said. And horse riding. One of my friends went to the gym regularly outside of school and got a letter signed from the trainer there; he ended up getting action hours for that.

Basically now it works entirely on your CAS Coordinator's discretion. He needs to see that you've been doing CAS stuff regularly over 1 year and 6 months. If you do a whole bunch of hours in the early part of the IB program and slack off afterwards, you may not get your pass in CAS. This is to avoid that situation.

A good idea is to still sort of stick to the 150 hr thing, but spread it out. That way you ensure you get enough CAS time, and also enough time spread.

Habitat for Humanity is a great way to get some action hours! We went on a trip to Malaysia for a week, and helped to build a house. It almost single handedly gave us like 30 action hours.

• 2 weeks later...