Is it worth taking four HLs?

anonymous1

A few of my friends are moving down from HL to SL Math in September. Our teachers have assured them that if they don't need the class (because they have more than 3 HLs, or because of their potential career path) it's a good move. The labs are much easier, there's less to learn, and they'll have a head start on next year's SL material by a couple of topics.

However it probably varies a lot from school to school. I'd talk to your teachers as much as you can about it.

There are labs in math?! Wow, I didn't know that.

And I agree, talk to your teachers because the order in which they teach topics is very important. If you've only covered HL material in your math class, then moving down to SL might not be such a good idea. But if you've covered the SL topics, then moving down might be a good choice. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I don't see much gain from taking four HLs. It won't make you stand out from all the other university applicants. But having a high mark will. So I advice you to maximize your mark by dropping a HL to SL. Or do what I do. I'm doing the SL exam for Bio but I'm in the HL class so I can learn more but not have the added stress of having to worry about things like the Krebs cycle and other nuisances Bio HL students have to endure.

Unless the university of your choice absolutely requires that you take those 4 subjects at HL, it's pretty much pointless to do so. Although colleges might take the difficulty of your chosen subjects into consideration, in the end, only your predicted/final grades will matter. You might be at a disadvantage when you are compared to a student with 3 HLs but with a 5 point difference in your final IB grade. Good luck anyway!

• 4 weeks later...

I was originally going to take all 3 sciences (chem bio physics) plus chinese at HL.

My chem teacher told me I wouldn't be able to live

So um i've decided to drop Physics back to SL

Remember the number of HL's you take doesn't really matter. What really matters is your overall mark.

Don't give yourself any unnecessary workload!

• 1 month later...

i know this is redundant.. but are 4 HLs REALLY too much?

i'm the kind of person who tends to take on a lot just for the sake of it..

+ i'm really indecisive.. so i dunno which HL to drop

+ i'm doing the HL course in most of the subjects so why not do the HL IB?

is there anybody who is in favour of doing 4 HLs and has actually good arguments to support that so that i can feel less bad for doing 4 HLs (and wondering WHY we're not allowed to do 5?!) >.<

THANKS!

B

i know this is redundant.. but are 4 HLs REALLY too much?

i'm the kind of person who tends to take on a lot just for the sake of it..

+ i'm really indecisive.. so i dunno which HL to drop

+ i'm doing the HL course in most of the subjects so why not do the HL IB?

is there anybody who is in favour of doing 4 HLs and has actually good arguments to support that so that i can feel less bad for doing 4 HLs (and wondering WHY we're not allowed to do 5?!) >.<

THANKS!

B

okay, i actually have four HLs and i am keeping all of them...

call me crazy...but i chose to stay that way

at first i had some doubts about dropping Chem HL...but no i settled a decision

my reason?

universities in Canada has a system for IB...not sure about the other countries though...

if you get a 6 or higher in a science or math, you can skip 101, meaning first year because IB gives you the 8 credits required for first year...

if you get a 5 or higher in the rest of the subjects, you can skip 101 as well...

so basically, i have four HLs, and i'm going into University of BC Arts department, so the first year courese are like, ENglish 101, geography/history/canadian history etc, and a lab science (there was two other subjects i forgot what they were)...

if i can get a 6 in chem, i don't even have to bother with the lab science, and if i get 5 in my other three HLs, i only have to take one course in first year...

even if i get like a 5 in chem HL, it will be so much easier for me in the class with labs and material...

anyway, that's my long reason for taking four HLs

• 1 month later...

Well, like everyone's said, the total IB points is what really matters for college admissions, but having more HLs means you get more uni credits later (at most institutions anyway - if you don fairly well in your HLs). It's not an *unmanageable* thing. Doing 4 HLs definitely taught me to manage my time better. =)

• 2 weeks later...

from my sources

all they look at is POINTS

so take the subjects that will get you an easy 7

AND depending on what you want to do in uni, those subjects should be at HL, uni's do look at that

for e.g.

Imperial colledge, for medicine

they need HL science and a math or another science

chem has to be HL

etc.

so yeh

Then if you find it too hard, you can always drop one.

Take the four. But you may not be able to drop one. Some schools have a policy that do not allow you to drop any of the tests because they make students sign a contract (it's because of budgeting and cost of tests...)

I'm sure you already made up your mind by now, though >.<

Taking for levels is worth it if you aren't sure exactly what to do, and you could also consider taking 7 subjects too, what I did.

However, i quickly dropped Ar HL to take Bio HL, meaning that I still had 4 HL(Math, Physics, Bio, History) ad for the moment, because of the free hours i got from dropping Art, i can definitely say that 4 HL are possible and worth it, because some unis(UCL as an example if i remember) that came to visit our school said that they favorized IB students with 4 HL, it certainly doesn't mean that you won't get in with only 3, but it gives you a "little" plus.