Is it worth taking four HLs?

anonymous1

Do you get college credit if you take HL or SL?

Will it give you a more chance for getting into colleges?

I am not sure but I'd say yes and no.

I heard colleges only give credits for HL subjects and not for SL.

But if you have 4 HL and your friend has 3 HL, there is no guarantee that universities will favour you over your friend.

It may depend on what subjects those are. Let's study the case below.

I am not capable of doing English A1 (given that English A2 is not offered at my school) and can only do English B. But I want to study abroad so my best choice would be English B HL.

Let's say I want to study Chemical Engineering. What HL subjects do I need? (actually not so sure about this but let's just assume that it's -->) Math HL, Physics HL and Chemistry HL. Then I would need to do 4 HL (plus my English B), given that I want to study abroad.

Let's say I have another friend wanting to study Chemical Engineering, taking Math HL, Physics HL, Chemistry HL and English A1 SL. We apply to the same uni for the same course. What would happen?

They may give credits for our Math, Phy and Chem HL; but not for my English B HL.

But will they pick me over my friend?? Maybe not... English A1 SL sounds much better than English B HL. So doing 4 HL does not always guarantee that you will have a greater chance of being admitted. It depends on your subjects. What HL subjects do you want to do?

PS. ^ true story about me btw.. I made up the story about my friend though ;) I wanted to study Chemical Eng so I initially did 4 HL but then I was struggling in my Chem and I changed my mind -- now I want to study Mechanical or Industrial Engineering :) so I dropped my Chem to SL :D