Is it worth taking four HLs?

anonymous1

Universities don't really mind wether you have subjects at SL or HL unless they are relevant to your course. So if you were thinking of doing Maths at HL but didn't actually need it for Uni, you'd be much better of saving yourself the stress of HL and getting more points in SL, because the overall point score would be the important thing for Maths.

I would say if there are four you are considering it's definately worth starting off with four, and then dropping down to SL in the one you don't like as much or aren't doing so well in. That way, if you really hate a teacher or class or something you have the flexibility, wheras otherwise you are stuck.

Check it out when you apply is my advice- I was unsure about wether to take English or Psychology at SL or HL but when I spoke to the IB co-ordinator, he said that the SL and HL classes for both run at the same time in my college, so I started off both at HL with the view to dropping down one of them after a few weeks. In the end I actually hated Chemistry HL so dropped that instead, it's all about flexibility :)

Edited by frenchgirl38

i did 4 HLs, and i didn't think it was so bad. i am going to uni in the states, and and here they do care if it is HL or SL for credit and such. i think you need to decide for youself. it was prolly a heavier workload, but i was prepared for it, and one of them was alos art, and i think i got off easy with art.

what were the classes you were considering to take HL?

i did 4 HLs, and i didn't think it was so bad. i am going to uni in the states, and and here they do care if it is HL or SL for credit and such. i think you need to decide for youself. it was prolly a heavier workload, but i was prepared for it, and one of them was alos art, and i think i got off easy with art.

what were the classes you were considering to take HL?

oh right, art should have balanced it out a bit.

i was considering HL Math, Physics, English and Biology...but most students who take those subjects at HL said that they're all hard enough on their own.

i think i might drop bio to SL and stick with Math, Physics and English at HL. (:

Wow... *0*... physics HL... I really admire some of you guys. :)

Well, I definitely wouldn't CONSIDER doing 4 HL's because that's quite a lot of work you'll have accumulated. Or maybe I'm just lazy :)

And yeah, I'd say that universities just focus on the overall score, so don't tie yourself up in knots if it's not necessary.

oh right, art should have balanced it out a bit.

i was considering HL Math, Physics, English and Biology...but most students who take those subjects at HL said that they're all hard enough on their own.

i think i might drop bio to SL and stick with Math, Physics and English at HL. (:

art deffinatly balanced it out. two sciences i think at HL would be way too much. i suffered through HL chem and prayed both years somehow i was gonna be able to do SL, but my school only offere bio and chem ah HL. english A1 HL wasn't too bad at all, so i can talk about the others but i did math at SL.

My school is one of those where you're entire IB curriculum is mapped out for you :) , and we have to take 4 HL's. I really don't think it would be that bad, but, then again, I haven't started my HL's yet. But no, I don't think colleges look at the level, just that you took the class and passed the exam. Hope I helped!

I'm taking English, History, Math and Biology at HL and so far it's been fine. English & History are compulsory HLs at my school (I would SO drop English in a heartbeat, I hate literature analysis), but I like Math and Bio so I enjoy the work and it isn't too difficult. If you like all four subjects, it's worth experimenting with four HLs and then dropping one if you don't do well/don't want to work too hard, but I wouldn't take a fourth one JUST to look better.

What is the difference b/w HLs and SLs, other than 2 year vs. 1? I took 2 SLs and 4 HLs, but they were pretty much the same work-wise at our school. I know there is the extra paper 3 for some subjects, but that wasn't too bad. I'm in the US anyway, though, and most colleges only give credit for HL courses.

Take 4HL.

Then if you find it too hard, you can always drop one.

4HL prepares you for a big workload. And when you do drop that 4th HL, you will find your work amazingly easier.

Because at the start of IB, you don't REALLY know what subjects you are good at. Don't regret choosing the wrong 3 HL.

I'm currently taking HL Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History (and SL French and English) and have been since September. I have to keep Chemistry and want to keep History at HL but am unsure about Maths and Biology. It seems to make more sense to do three at Higher and three at Standard. I think I'd rather move Biology down but am unsure what the transition is like.

Does anyone know much about moving from HL Biology to SL? Or even HL Maths to SL Maths?

Thanks,

Rosie X

I'm currently taking HL Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History (and SL French and English) and have been since September. I have to keep Chemistry and want to keep History at HL but am unsure about Maths and Biology. It seems to make more sense to do three at Higher and three at Standard. I think I'd rather move Biology down but am unsure what the transition is like.

Does anyone know much about moving from HL Biology to SL? Or even HL Maths to SL Maths?

Thanks,

Rosie X

Moving Biology from HL to SL takes out a LOT of material for you, and lets you just focus on core things. Also, it doesn't require as many lab hours so you will be able to make the labs you do write up of a better quality. However, from HL Math to SL math is more topic change, and that could get complicated. I'm currently in SL Math and my HL Math friends haven't covered many topics that we have, and vice versa. However, I am also in HL Biology and I have to cover the same material as my SL friends and more.

In short: if you want to make your life less complicated, move Biology from HL to SL and keep HL Math.

Disclaimer: This advice is given with no knowledge of your career preferences. If you need one of these for the University or career you want to go into, KEEP that one. XD

Oh, but bonus for moving Biology down means that you've probably already covered all of the SL topics, and you'll probably do very well on the exam. :D

Good luck!

Edit: How biased is this post? XD Geez.

Edited by Mandiloquence

I didn't know you WERE allowed to take 4 higher levels.....

But I think, as a general rule, group 4 subjects waay more material than group 3. About 30% of my class have changed out of HL maths to SL maths because it is simply too hard......but I guess the decision is up to you. For me, maths comes to me easier, so HL maths works out well for me.

Your call - you want the marks at the end of IB, so choose the topic that you do best at. If you STILL can't decide.......flip a coin =P.

AURON

A few of my friends are moving down from HL to SL Math in September. Our teachers have assured them that if they don't need the class (because they have more than 3 HLs, or because of their potential career path) it's a good move. The labs are much easier, there's less to learn, and they'll have a head start on next year's SL material by a couple of topics.

However it probably varies a lot from school to school. I'd talk to your teachers as much as you can about it.