Summer Reading

Manesh

Hello there! I am currently finishing up 10th grade, so I wil be in IB next year. This may be a kind of stupid question but I was just wondering about what books I should read over the summer. I will have a lot of free time so I'm planning on reading a lot to get ahead, I guess you could say, so I won't have to worry about that as much during the school year.

I have already bought Catcher in the Rye, Farienhiet 451, The Great Gatsby, and a few others.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

• Like 1

I just finished 10th grade and I asked my English Teacher what books we'll be reading next year (She also teaches IB English HL). I'm not sure if we have the same curriculum or not but I already took Fahrenheit 451 this year. She told us that we'll be taking: The Great Gatsby, A Midsummer's Night Dream and Jane Eyre. Fahrenheit 451 is a personal favorite of mine (that man's a psychic), so have fun reading it! Oh and you may read less novels than the above if you're SL.

Depends on your school; different schools take different books, so you should ask the IB English teacher or anyone who would know what books are taken in IB next year.

HL take more pieces than SL, and I think Lit take more pieces than Lit/lang, so it also depends on your subject choice for English.

I would advise you not to try to get ahead on the reading. If you choose to read ahead during the summer, you'll have to reread it again in school to refresh your memory because you won't remember all of the small details of 5 or 6 books over the next few months when you're actually doing them in class. My advice to you is to just read them when the time comes– it's less fun when you have to read a book again that you know you didn't enjoy the first time.

I would advise you not to try to get ahead on the reading. If you choose to read ahead during the summer, you'll have to reread it again in school to refresh your memory because you won't remember all of the small details of 5 or 6 books over the next few months when you're actually doing them in class. My advice to you is to just read them when the time comes– it's less fun when you have to read a book again that you know you didn't enjoy the first time.

I second that. Also, different schools do different books, and no one here will be able to tell you what to read.

My general advice is to relax during this summer, and do nothing else. No preparation is necessary to do well in the IB.

We spent a massive amount of time on studying each work and read a lot together in class too, so it really got boring if you had read everything in advance... But you could always familiarise yourself with other works by the authors whose books you will be studying in the IB, if you truly want to read something more or less useful and have a good background knowledge - Charlotte Brontë's Villette, Fitzgerald's other novels or short stories (such as Tender is the Night, which is brilliant!) etc. I understand you, because I did want to put some extra effort in too!

Hello there! I am currently finishing up 10th grade, so I wil be in IB next year. This may be a kind of stupid question but I was just wondering about what books I should read over the summer. I will have a lot of free time so I'm planning on reading a lot to get ahead, I guess you could say, so I won't have to worry about that as much during the school year.

I have already bought Catcher in the Rye, Farienhiet 451, The Great Gatsby, and a few others.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

I have to say that The Great Gatsby is an AMAZING book. Though I don't like reading much, that book is awesome to the max. After you are done with that, watch the movie both the old and new version.

I have to annotate Derk Walcott poems and read Beloved. Short amount of reading but crazy amount of assessments that go with those

>.<

• 2 weeks later...