Math SL vs. HL

Forever Stressed

So next year I am going to be starting the IB diploma program and as of now my schedule is:

HL Literature

HL History

HL Biology

SL Math 1, 2

SL Chemistry

Spanish 3 (which is SL)

This year I had HL math 1,2 and I struggled a bit but did really well. I got a high B first semester and a 95% second semester. Math is one of my least favorite subjects though and the teacher isn't very good. So my question is should I switch into HL 3,4 and keep myself challenged, although the IB diploma in itself is challenging? I just don't feel as if I would be putting myself to my highest potential. Also if you've taken the HL math test how hard is it on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the hardest/you wanted to kill yourself and regret taking it). :) If I did end up switching to HL I would most likely take the HL test as it would be a waste to take the class otherwise.

Edited by Forever Stressed

I might be a little bit confused about your situation myself, but I'll try my best to give useful advice.

Main source of confusion. You say that "This year I had HL math 1,2" - is that just a typo? I'm presuming you mean Maths SL, so I'm going to operate under that assumption anyway. :)

If you're struggling and not really enjoying yourself in maths, I do not see why you should do Maths HL. Maths HL is significantly, significantly harder. If you're interested to see the difference in the standard of the examinations, go and find past paper questions - there'll be at least one paper that's online for free (the specimen paper). You should be able to see that Maths SL is as difficult as eating ice-cream in a dream compared to HL.

If you intend to pursue maths in the future, perhaps you need HL. But it seems like you don't. So yes, I would probably advise you to go and enjoy the already-challenging IB program without Maths HL! Unless you enjoy the pain of Maths HL, don't do it to yourself. :)

If you're not that interested, I would advice against taking Maths HL. Like for me, I really like Maths HL. I used to be getting 3s and 4s and now 5 but I do not mind. I would never regret taking Maths HL, no matter how hard it is (or even if I do badly in the May 2013 session). Also, it doesn't feel that hard because I like it. Does that kinda answer your question on how hard it is? Sorry I can't give a specific value. But my point is, it's the interest that matters.

• Like 2

I would definitely not take Maths HL.

I had the same problem, where I was hating Maths SL and considering dropping down to Studies but I didn't... I regret that decision so much now because I struggle with Maths daily and my teacher is terrible!

Trust me, you do not want to take a risk with Maths.

• Like 1

I might be a little bit confused about your situation myself, but I'll try my best to give useful advice.

Main source of confusion. You say that "This year I had HL math 1,2" - is that just a typo? I'm presuming you mean Maths SL, so I'm going to operate under that assumption anyway. :)

If you're struggling and not really enjoying yourself in maths, I do not see why you should do Maths HL. Maths HL is significantly, significantly harder. If you're interested to see the difference in the standard of the examinations, go and find past paper questions - there'll be at least one paper that's online for free (the specimen paper). You should be able to see that Maths SL is as difficult as eating ice-cream in a dream compared to HL.

If you intend to pursue maths in the future, perhaps you need HL. But it seems like you don't. So yes, I would probably advise you to go and enjoy the already-challenging IB program without Maths HL! Unless you enjoy the pain of Maths HL, don't do it to yourself. :)

Thanks for replying. This year I had HL 1,2 so next year I had the option of taking HL 3,4 and then I would have HL 5,6 for my senior year :). If I end up doing SL I would have 1,2 junior year then 3,4 senior year I would be repeating HL 1,2 but at a slower pace = cake walk :)

Edited by Forever Stressed

I think that their is three things you have to have to do (or at least do well at in maths HL) and I really believe that you need all three (at least to some extent).

1. Some basic mathematical potential. You seem to have this based on you results.
  2. The intent to work hard. With out this you could have lots of tallent but it wouldn't be much use. Only you can answer this question for youself.
  3. An interest in maths. This you seem to lack, and without it I think that you will struglle to enjoy it.

However, remember that if you start 4 HLs you should be able to drop one, even if it is a term in, once you get the 'vibe' of all the subjects.

• 4 weeks later...

"Do I need this for university" and "Do I really enjoy doing this subject?"

If you answer yes to either one (hopefully both), then you should consider taking HL math.

It's not horrendously difficult, but it is much harder than SL. You don't need to be Euler to do the subject, but you should be a pretty hard working student, and have at least a bit of an aptitude for math. The topics you're probably doing now are the easiest time you'll ever have with HL math. It gets more twisted later on. If you are willing to work at it though, achieving a 7 is definitely within reach.

Warning, HL math takes up a lot of your time. It is a very practice-intensive subject, and you'll spend lots of time staring at worked solutions and trying to figure out how the hell it works. This is pretty much the only way you'll ever get anywhere with this subject. You'll also have an IA, which (although its different from my syllabus) will be time-consuming and difficult.

If you do decide to take it, make sure you are dedicated to it and you'll get your 7.

• Like 1