Maths HL Series and Differential Equations Paper 3

micogo

Hey guys, how did you find the Series and Differential Equations paper 3?!

It was amazing in my opinion. The best out of all three math papers. There wasn't even one question where a convergence test was needed apart from the interval and radius of convergence one. The only one I definitely lost marks on was the one with the summation from 1 to infinity of (n^2 * x^n)/(2^n), when it said find the sum of the series given that x= -0.1. Did anyone manage that?

The only one I definitely lost marks on was the one with the summation from 1 to infinity of (n^2 * x^n)/(2^n), when it said find the sum of the series given that x= -0.1. Did anyone manage that?

You had to realise that it was an alternating series and to some error analysis. I found that the sum of the first 4 terms would give me the sum correct to 3 sig.

Didn't get the telescoping series... The last question with the upper, and lower bounds were actually really easy although it got stressed in the end.

Grade boundaries are going to be high this year. 50/60 for a 7.

The only one I definitely lost marks on was the one with the summation from 1 to infinity of (n^2 * x^n)/(2^n), when it said find the sum of the series given that x= -0.1. Did anyone manage that?

You had to realise that it was an alternating series and to some error analysis. I found that the sum of the first 4 terms would give me the sum correct to 3 sig.

Didn't get the telescoping series... The last question with the upper, and lower bounds were actually really easy although it got stressed in the end.

I agree, but maybe a little lower since it wasn't AS easy as 2012, so maybe 48+ :)

I loved this paper. It was definitely one of the simpler ones I've seen. I might have made a careless mistake on the summation to infinity, since I wasn't sure about significant figures so I kept crossing things out and rewriting the answer, and eventually I may have forgotten to write down the minus sign. Just to be sure, was it supposed to be -0.0410?

Overall, as you guys said, it was really easy. The first question my limit was 1/2. The third question, my interval was from -2 < x < 2, cause mine diverged at both the endpoints? And the fourth question, my a was 3 and b was 5, and my limit was 3/4. The last question, a was 11 in the first part and 6 in the second?

I realized it was an alternating series, but I decided to complicate things by integrating it from 1 to infinity to find the sum, which was taking ages so I skipped it. Derp. Easy marks lost.