English A :Language and Literature SL Paper 1 Discussion.

rc_1995

I went with first question about "Crisis at Christmas" and honestly, it was better than I had expected.

As for the structure of my answer, I used the Big 5: Content and Audience, Theme and Context, Tone and Mood, Stylistic Devices and Structure, and I guess it worked out pretty well.

So how did you guys find it?

I'm in TZ2 so we had the choice between 'I am tourist' and 'World War One'. I didnt care much for the poem so went for the prose, felt fairly good, commented alot on how Keegan manipulates the emotions of the reader through the use of violent language and imagery, also talked about some of the juxtapositions 'derelict fortifications' for example... Centered it all around how everything is directed in such a way as to blame Hitler, even when the English bombed German cities.

What did everyone else think/ write about?

I found the poem (I Am Tourist) to quite easy compared to some other stuff if seen in mocks and past papers. Same for my classmates, all felt quite confident that we addressed the major themes and so on. Only thing I wasn't 100% sure about was the humour question we had to answer. I basically said the author used irony and that the tourist was likened to a child, being rather narrow-minded. Your interpretations?

I agree with you, rc_1995. "Crisis for Christmas" turned out quite well for me :]

However, I feel as if I have not analyzed the text adequately as this was the first time I've analyzed a two-page advertisement for a textual analysis. (Time constraints) :(

Edited by Kimmerrayy

"Crisis at Christmas" was pretty easy ... However I did the mistake to not use the formal names (eg. tone and mood) of the stylistic devices. I just talked about how the audience felt without any reference to the word "mood"... Anyways, it was much easier than the autobiography of Keith Richards (text 2)