MAY 2013 SL MATH EXAM!

Bumblebee

Well, in May of this year (2013) I am having my VERY FIRST IB EXAM!

I am sooo nervous! But I wanted to know how those of you that have already done your exam, studied for it.

I haven't started yet, but am in a couple days giving myself around 28-30 days to study. Is that enough time? What is the best way to study in your opinion? Any information is appreciated!

Thank you :)

Refer to the syllabus and make sure you know every single thing mentioned in it. Like take section 1 of the syllabus and do all of the past paper questions (from 2008) on it once you know the basic concepts. Do that for all the other sections too. That should help I think.

Edited by Pallavi

For mathematics exams, I think you can't go wrong with just past paper revision. In my opinion you should only go through syllabus and notes if you still really don't understand a concept. By this point, you should really be focused on doing as many (10+) past papers as you can, under exam conditions.

Sitting in a quiet room, with a past paper and a timer, will greatly alleviate your nervousness. Treat each past paper as if it was the real thing. Then when your first exam comes around, you won't be unfamiliar with the feeling. Trust me, it really works. Be honest with yourself, and if you are making silly mistakes (rounding errors, forgetting units, misinterpreting the question) then focus on fixing this as a priority (careless mistakes are what often separate the grade 6 students from the grade 7).

Timing is also crucial. Make sure you know how long you need to spend on each question, and get into the habit on moving on if you're stuck for too long. Always leave yourself a few minutes at the end to go back and check your answers.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I find that I lose most marks in math exams when I make the wrong decision about how to solve the problem. By practicing a lot you will develop an intuition of how to go about solving a problem, so like AZouev said the best thing you can really do is keep practicing.

• Like 1