Alfons Heck interview in ''Heil HItler: Confessions of a Hitler Youth''

YourLostDog

Hey everybody,

So i am doing my history IA on ''How was the Hitler Youth an organization vital for the indoctrination of German youth'' not a very original topic but a very interesting one for me personally.

To get to the point, i am using ''Heil HItler: Confessions of a Hitler Youth'' as a source for evaluation in part C.

Basically the source is a short film composed from an interview of Alfons Heck (a former member of the HItler youth, he also has written a book on the subject) who talks about his days of being a member in the HItler Youth and how succesful it was in indoctrinating him.

My question is, Is this a primary source? It states only the ideas of Alfons HEck it does not analyse or go through looking any other source other than showing pictures and videos of back then. It was published and created around 1991 which is several decades after the NAzi regime.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

I would say that an interview with a person who talks about something he or she experienced him-/herself is indeed a first-hand source. First-hand sources are based on personal knowledge, whilst second-hand sources are based on first-hand sources.

To what extent the source analysed the events and how long time it is since the events don't really matter for categorising something as a first- or second-hand source, but might be something you want to mention under value and limitation.

Good luck!

• Like 1