Is Economics HL a difficult course?

What my instructor tells me is that the main difference between HL and Sl is that HL has one more component of calculation. It is just simple use of maths (+_*/) and using equations. BUt you have to be careful of careless mistakes, the questions are linked together and there are no method points. If you get the first wrong the whole section is wrong. And my school teached HL and SL together in one class. Personally, most of the HL people think the SL essay questions are harder.

You can choose 4 HL levels and if one of them gets too hard you can move downwards.

Thats what i did, but 4HL is not that tough

• Like 1

Thank you for your insightful response.

That's interesting to hear because in my school we are only allowed to take 3 HL subjects and 3 SL subjects. My school demands a lot from the students in terms of quality and the time devoted to each subject.

Edited by RainAL

• 3 weeks later...

Economics HL is not hard, at least not compared to many other higher level courses. in order to be successful you just have to be sure of the definitions and be able to tell when each model should be applied to a real world economic phenomena.

• 3 weeks later...

Economics HL isn't hard once you've gotten a relatively strong foundation. There is a lot of content, although a lot of it is quite intuitive and simply explanation of common sense extrapolations (which you would have easily made with the right foundation). This is much more prominent in the new Cambridge Economics for the IB Diploma textbook.

The HL extension can get a little tricky sometimes (especially with the theory of the firm), but its definitely not anywhere near as tricky as a topic in... say Math HL.

Basically, if you've got common sense and are willing to read through the textbook a number of times, Econs HL really isn't that difficult.