Books worth reading?

M.A

I love books by specific authors; for instance:

John Steinbeck (East of Eden, Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men)

Robertson Davies (Deptford Trilogy)

Haruki Murakami (The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the Shore, 1Q84)

George Orwell (1984, Animal Farm, Essays)

Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, Great Expectations)

Other recommendations include A Brief History of Time (Hawking) and The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway),

• Like 1

Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist, Great Expectations)

^ the books I want to read badly and somehow always forget to borrow at the library... How is that even possible?!

Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (Austen's irony is priceless, love her).

"Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem is another title which more people need to hear, seriously. If you dig sci-fi, then this is the book you've been looking for. Really, you won't regret reading it. Trust me.

"The Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger is brilliant and very popular among youngsters, so you've probably already heard about it. Some other "mainstream" titles I'd suggest are "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad, Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Around the world in 80 days", "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelly, the Harry Potter Saga... I think I went a little too far with children's literature here, lol.

I am a big fan of Agatha Christie so I can't miss out "...And then there were none", her masterpiece :)

When I was younger I also loved "The Boys of Paul Street" by Hungarian author Ferenc Molnar. Although it's been about... 8 years?! since I read it, it truly is one of the most moving stories I've ever read and which I'll never forget. I should brush the dust off of it one of these days.

edit: "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte is rad, too.

Edited by vals

Seconding The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde as they happen to be my favourite books!

• The original Peter Pan by JM Barrie is so adorable. Honestly. Everyone should read it.
  • ANYTHING BY PG WODEHOUSE. (Jeeves and Wooster fan here. I could rant about this for days.)
  • Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora Pierce, if you like swords and the idea of a female knight.
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell will forever be my favourite Austen-like novel.
  • This Side of Paradise by F Scott Fitzgerald. Everyone goes on and on about The Great Gatsby but I've always preferred this one as I think Amory is much easier to identify with.
  • The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer. The premise is interesting and the tales themselves are actually fascinating and at times hilarious, if not exactly modern. One note though: the first time you read it, find a copy in modern English. I first tried to read it in the original middle English and I nearly had an aneurysm.

Happy reading!