Simran Venkatraman

So I have a practice MATH IA on Pricing... I haven't been given any guidelines, so I thought I might take up the pricing of shares of a certain company (Tata Steel Ltd.) but I can't figure out how math relates to this... any pointers? PLEASE help? what could I talk about...

so far I have included how average of the varying stock prices can be used to determine the price of the share in the near future.... Is that all there is in this topic?

maybe use some statistics to suggest the probability that these shares will be worth something in the future? to be honest i have no idea...... obviously you have to link it to a real life situation so maybe focus on probability or statistics and incorporate things like standard deviation and etc. As long as you write a lot and draw lots of conclusions based on your data you will be fine (i think!!) sorry i couldnt be more help

good luck <3

• Like 1

Were you given anything at all which specifies your topic? You could look at supply and demand in ecosystems and use your knowledge of the normal distribution, integration, and other concepts, using the normal distribution as the likelihood that a purchase of a product will take place (the normal cumulative distribution, that is, which has a logistic shape if I recall correctly). There's a lot you could do - like you said, look into stock market pricing or consumer demand. Good luck!

Is the practice IA something a teacher gave you with the task already set up, or something more in line with the actual IA where you have to come up with your own specifics? All the stuff mentioned above should be useful. However, the topic of 'pricing' seems to economics-oriented, and you'd need a good level of understanding of economics to be able to choose the right models/statistics to be actually to predict or model anything using your data. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could do - try and clarify with your teacher if possible. If you keep what you've done and maybe add some of the other stuff that has been mentioned, you'll have something at least.