Doing Math studies with HL Physics

Tony Petrovik

Hi, i am doing math studies with physics at higher level, but i was wondering if there is anything learnt in either math higher or math standard that i would need to learn for physics that i wont learn in studies, i am capable of math standard, but it is only the fact that i probably get a 4 or 5 at math standard and 6 or 7 at studies.

I will ask my form teacher (who teaches higher and during form gives us some questions from the higher level optional networking topic from higher before school to work out).

What do you think he'd need to teach me that isn't in the studies syllabus.

First thing, you won't be needing discriptive calculus in physics etc which is only taught in standard +. You don't "have" to have standard at least for physics HL as content of physics only require simple calculations, algebra etc and applications.

PS: Math standard is much harder than studies as i have a friend who's repeating final IB year and he said that he was getting 3s in Math SL when now he's getting 6s and 7s. So unless you're getting 7s (like 80%) in studies then you should stay in studies.

You can definitely be doing Physics HL with Maths Studies - I believe the IB has designed the courses in such a way in which this is permissible. You don't need any calculus in Physics SL or HL. What you do need is basic manipulation skills, some understanding of trigonometric, some understanding of logs and exponentials, and decent problem-solving skills. I believe that the majority of this basic mathematical content/skills is covered in the Studies syllabus. There's a more extensive list of all the mathematical techniques needed in Physics within the syllabus (I think, or it should be covered in the textbooks), so if you want you can check over it to make sure you're competent.

So, if you are trying to maximise your score, Maths Studies is probably a good choice. The only concern would be that you lack mathematical manipulation skills because you do Studies - this is a disadvantage when it comes to quickly solving problems with numbers in them. However, if your maths is decent, you should be fine. Physics has a lot more concepts bound around it than maths, so calculations tend to not be as important. Although Maths Studies + Physics HL may seem weird, it is possible.

Oh yeah, logs and exponentials, i dont know what they are, i have asked the higher math teacher and he isnt sure how they would be applied to physics, can anyone recommend a good video or topic that shows logs and exponentials and any other physics math know-how that may not be covered in studies. I am the only one in my physics IB class who is doing studies (out of a class of 3 others). Any recommendations, soz it's just because im new for the IB, only heard of it last year before choosing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellMitch?feature=g-user-u

This is an IB teacher who has made a crap ton of IB physics videos that explains the physics and the math involved. It will likely be helpful for when you run into math problems in physics.

You can google logs and exponentials although I don't seem to recall any exponentials in physics...the exponents were always set, never a variable you needed to solve for O.o

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have a problem and since it's related this topic I thought i could bump this thread. My problem is that my IB physics Hl teacher wants to kick me out of physics Hl because he just discovered I'm taking math studies, almost a month after school began! After reading this thread I think it's possible to pair physics Hl and Math Studies but my Physics teacher doesn't seem to comprehend that so is it legal for him to kick me? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Okay if you're doing Physics at HL, you're presumably looking into a future into engineering... Which is requires math (HL to be specific)...

But if you're doing Physics just cause you enjoy it or something, then yeah sure...

So, if you are trying to maximise your score, Maths Studies is probably a good choice. The only concern would be that you lack mathematical manipulation skills because you do Studies - this is a disadvantage when it comes to quickly solving problems with numbers in them. However, if your maths is decent, you should be fine. Physics has a lot more concepts bound around it than maths, so calculations tend to not be as important. Although Maths Studies + Physics HL may seem weird, it is possible.

This makes sense...

You crazy? Well, of course not but here's my experience...

At our HL Physics class we use differentiation, anti-differentiation (in spanish se call them "integrales") and sometimes vector calculations... for demonstrations. Maybe that's not necessary, but in my opinion it helps understanding things instead of just explanations. Call me a romantic or whatever, but it works for me.

But i've said that's just for explanations. Calculations in the exams just require a little knowledge of trigonometry (option G: electromagnetic waves, i'm looking at you haha). The most important thing is getting your calc in Radian or Degree mode and remembering to do so everytime it's necessary... (oh my god i think i'm stupid)

Apart from IB we also prepare for national exams where you don't have the data booklet so it's better to remember how to obtain some expressions instead of remembering...

In short: don't be afraid.

Hey guys I have a problem and since it's related this topic I thought i could bump this thread. My problem is that my IB physics Hl teacher wants to kick me out of physics Hl because he just discovered I'm taking math studies, almost a month after school began! After reading this thread I think it's possible to pair physics Hl and Math Studies but my Physics teacher doesn't seem to comprehend that so is it legal for him to kick me? Thanks

You have a right to appeal your case especially if his reasons for wanting to do so are not supported with your grades/ performance. If you're doing alright in class, ie average and above and you haven't given him any prior reason to worry about your anticipated specific, individual performance on the exam then it seems pretty trivial that he would try to kick you out based on subject choices. You need to assure him that you will [and] work hard to understand the maths concept related to the physics. Also try reason with him, dropping an HL isn't always the best of ideas especially if time isn't exactly on your side and replacing an existing HL with another is such a process sometimes. Especially if you're not necessarily exceptionally good at the other potential HL subject.

• Like 1

I personanly believe that should not be a problem as the maths in hl physics is relatively simple you just have to know how to use a calculator and some problem solving skills(however you must have a good core understanding at igcse). I however am doing Hl maths and Hl physics and don't see how hl maths is benefiting me with phyics. This is however my own personal opinion on the matter and may be not entierly true as maths has been my strong subject