Inconsistent CAS?

Hi,

I will be sitting the may 2013 exams and have almost completed CAS. However, I have been told that my CAS has been inconsistent, meaning that despite completing more than 50 hours in each of the three categories, I had a four month gap in my second academic year, without any CAS done.

I approached my supervisor and she said that it could be risky, and that my diploma may be cancelled since my CAS is not consistent.

My question is, is this true? and what can i do about it?

Thanks~!

• Like 1

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

Yes it is true, It might be canceling your diploma. i think you should really ask your supervisor about any (even 1) activity you could shift, like to those empty months. What i am trying to say as in change the dates of an activity you did in some other month and put it in the empty months.

I am not sure, but this might just be the best way out ..... ~sigh

Perhaps during those 4 months you did do an activity but hadn't considered it for cas. Did you by any chance go walking often - action? Go to the gym and notice improvement? Do you play an instrument? If so, you can reflect on improvement in a particular piece?

It's odd how your supervisor didn't approach you during that time as well...

It is important to discuss options with your supervisor because the consequences for not completing CAS are quite severe - as you know.

Perhaps during those 4 months you did do an activity but hadn't considered it for cas. Did you by any chance go walking often - action? Go to the gym and notice improvement? Do you play an instrument? If so, you can reflect on improvement in a particular piece?

It's odd how your supervisor didn't approach you during that time as well...

It is important to discuss options with your supervisor because the consequences for not completing CAS are quite severe - as you know.

Yeah, Hey i really doubt if walking and going to the hymn is considered CAS. Really? How?

As far as learning to play an instrument in considered, yup that'd go well :D ..

Yeah, Hey i really doubt if walking and going to the hymn is considered CAS. Really? How?

As far as learning to play an instrument in considered, yup that'd go well :D ..

Ahahaha in most cases it isn't considered CAS, but it seems as the original poster is desperate for some sort of commitment. I mean, you can reflect on how after each day you started to appreciate the nature surrounding you during your leisurely walk (ahahhahaha or maybe not.. ) But I suppose if you are completely desperate you could justify improvement by jogging and then gaining the confidence to run for a sustained amount of time :D It is action after all and it does display progression! hahaha :)

Oh! well i am still doubtful haha, But CAS criteria also says benefits to others? So what is he like creating awareness on how walking improves connections with nature. I am sorry but this would be a risky move .. Yeah but if your desperate enough ask your teacher.

Edited by ziasha

Oh! well i am still doubtful haha, But CAS criteria also says benefits to others? So what is he like creating awareness on how walking improves connections with nature. I am sorry but this would be a risky move .. Yeah but if your desperate enough ask your teacher.

Fair enough - I wouldn't recommend it in most cases but I'm just throwing some ideas around - perhaps the person went running in a group and thus motivating each other to try their best? In terms of the nature, that was just me going on a casual word blast and not really meaning anything hahaha :D Of course, it'd be more beneficial if poster participated in an active group sport.. Hopefully the poster is able to find something in those 4 months to save their diploma!

The 50-hour system has been long gone at my school as my CAS coordinator instructed us to be doing CAS consistently, weekly, for the duration of our IB diploma years. I believe that this "new" method of doing CAS has been taken on by pretty much all the other IB schools around the world. Nothing much you can do about those hours now, unless you have been doing something CAS-like and have not documented it(if you can justify it's CAS, then do it)! I suggest you find an activity to which you can commit for the remainder of your CAS session and stick with it.