Taking AP exams when you're in the IB diploma.

thebrownindianguy

Hi!

I'm in the IB diploma in India. I'm doing the full diploma (Math SL, English SL, Spanish Ab Initio, Chemistry HL, Biology HL, Physics HL). Do you think taking the AP tests in either Biology, Calc AB or Calc BC would increase my chances of getting into a good college? I'm ready to put in the hard work, but do you think it's worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I'm in the IB diploma in India. I'm doing the full diploma (Math SL, English SL, Spanish Ab Initio, Chemistry HL, Biology HL, Physics HL). Do you think taking the AP tests in either Biology, Calc AB or Calc BC would increase my chances of getting into a good college? I'm ready to put in the hard work, but do you think it's worth it?

Thanks in advance!

AP (advance placement), isn't that an american education program similar to IB? I don't see how that would boost up your chances of getting into university. It's better for you to get 45 points and spend all the time doing IB rather than distributing your time. If you're already getting 42 points in all your subjects, but still, that's something which might weigh up your CV but for universities, i don't think it'll work out. Better to get 45 credits in IB lol.

They would be the same thing, so taking them would be a waste of time for university. You would actually have to do very little work, since you cover most of the AP curriculum in IB.

Now, if you did AP tests OUTSIDE your IB curriculum, then that would be something. Like if you took AP History or AP Environment Science or Psychology.

EDIT: saw you were taking maths at SL. In that case, taking it to AP Calc BC level (which is a significant step up) would be pretty good.

Edited by dubyawhy
  • Like 2

I would definitely recommend taking some of the exams, but only the ones that you may need. Check the universities you are interested in and see if your courses cover their requirements. AP courses are more widely recognized and credited in the U.S., so taking the exams on U.S. history (which would push the United States' history requirement out of the way so you can focus more on your interests) and AP Calc BC (might as well since you will have learned the AB course) would probably be beneficial. It is a lot of extra time and effort to take these exams so choose with care, but I would definitely encourage you to take some so that way you can save money and focus more so on what you are interested in.

• Like 1