Biology sl or Physics sl

Vicky Hus

I am currently taking Chemistry HL and Physics at a standard level, but am considering changing to Biology sl with Chemistry hl instead. Does anyone know what options I will be closing off by choosing this option? I know that UK universities recommend Chemistry and Biology HL for medicine, but my school doesn't offer Biology at a higher level.

Off the top of my head, dropping physics could possibly close off engineering at a lot of UK universities as require at least sl Physics. It would be harder to go straight into engineering without physics at all if offered at your school and if you don't have maths HL.

As for medicine, the universal requirement for virtually all UK Medical schools is Chemistry HL and usually one (sometimes two) of another science and maths at HL, according to TSR's medicine subject requirement guide. :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_IB_Requirements

Many say biology, but it's important to note not all.

My advice is do whichever of Biology/ Physics you find easiest if you want to do medicine. If the Uni doesn't specify which subject it requires, the points will matter most at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Well, Biology SL is sure to be harder than Physics SL I think in terms of the conceptual understanding and ability to apply it - judging from the different experiences of my classmates. There are people in my physics class (including myself sometimes) who think "why didn't I do biology SL instead of physics SL." However, if you are a 'science-oriented' person, then you can definitely do Physics SL over Biology SL. I'd say physics, just because I'm still biased against biology - however, let your own interests and needs guide you - if biology is easier and more useful, then go for it!

Well, if you are getting into Medicine then I'd say go for Biology SL...at least you have some knowledge in Biology. And quite frankly, taking HL Bio AND Chem isn't a requirement for all uni...even in the UK. But Chemistry HL alone is.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you took Physics SL if you wanted to do Medicine in Uni. However...I'm not even sure if you wanted do Medicine initially :P

Anyway...if you take Chem HL and Physics SL then you could possibly get into Chemical Engineering along with HL Maths...

Or you can get into pure chemistry.

• 2 weeks later...