Maths Studies AND PROUD

Proud to be in Math Studies! There are a lot of different reasons for choosing one math over another. I'd rather use more everyday applicable math, and I feel like Math Studies actually helps because of the information we get about surveys and data processing and all of that. Plus the teacher at our school is like the best IB teacher I've ever had, so I agree with you that people can just lay off once in awhile, haha.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Well, I personally haven't begun my IB, but I feel like I might have something to add.

Maths has almost become the institutionalised measure of intelligence. So with Maths having HL, SL and Studies, I feel like it is a structure calling for mockery.

Yet, nobody said that being great at Maths means that you'll do well in life. Heck, even if you got a 45 in IB doesn't mean you'll end up the next Steve Jobs or the next big CEO - which is what I believe GirlwiththeBlueBox was trying to establish as well with the creation of this topic.

In whatever combination you take, the key thing is relevance, and well if you can't find the area of a square at this point (in which I do know someone who can't do that at this point), your obvious route is Studies - whereas basically everybody else most other people have the option of being able to choose between HL, SL and Studies. Which is why most people question the whether the abilities of people in Studies.

I do have to say that the jokes can end up being pretty hurtful in the midst of all the IB stress people go through so obviously it's great to pull in some pride for the subjects they're taking as a result. I mean HL kids, your nerdiness is being seen in the same light as everyone doing the IB; whereas I can't say the same about the Studies people.

But come on guys, the IB jokes are all in good fun. Us crazies in Singapore with our super competitive Maths do have a habit of looking down on Studies kids, but I don't think they're worth being friends with anyway. They're the crazy cats who choose boyfriends and girlfriends according to grades and what's fun in that.

I honestly feel like the truth of the matter is that more people would choose Studies if there wasn't that huge a stigma attached to the subject really, University preferences aside. Which I do think is a pity, but each to their own.

Guest Salimbo

If you do not intend to do a course at uni that requires math then you do not need maths standard or even higher. It is likely to just improve your overall IB score as it is a piece of cake.

• 8 months later...

People at my school thinks that Math Studies people are dumb, lazy and shouldn't be in the IB. I actually find it hurting since I am not dumb nor lazy. I am good at math, It's just that I just find math so INCREDIBLY BORING as well as I do not need it for Univeristy at all, so why should I even bother? I think I am smart instead - Choosing the easiest math for a easy score that will up my average and I can instead focus on other things, such as philosophy.

There are also those who are not necessarily bad at math, but simply do not want to focus on it because they do not need it further on in their education.

I personally do not need Math SL or HL, and therefore I don't want to spend too much time on math when I could spend my time working on other assignments or tasks.

But you need to be able to take a joke. At my school, English A students are mocking the English B students for having such easy exams.

People will always make jokes. As long as they don't sound too serious when joking about other people's stupidity it should be fine. :dontgetit:

Honestly, I see no problems with those taking studies. If you aren't applying to any universities that require SL, there's really no reason not to anyways. If you don't enjoy Maths and are averaging a 4-5 in SL, dropping to studies would probably give you an easy 7. There's no consequences of doing so, there's less work and you get a higher overall score, so why not? :P

• Like 1

In my school, we have to take Math Studies before we take Maths SL (And SL before HL of course). Depending on what school you went to before joining IB, you may not be far enough ahead to fit these classes in. The only way to take Maths HL in my school is come into high school 2 grades ahead in math. Because of this, those who take Math Studies get more slack. I hardly ever hear jokes about it except for on here.

But, hey. Math Studies and proud!