Subject Choices

Guest pruno

I'm starting IB next year, and I was just hoping for some thoughts on my subject choices.

At the moment, I am hoping to do:

SL English A1

SL French B (or SL Spanish ab initio)

SL History

HL Biology

HL Maths

HL Chemistry

So, I was wondering a few things.

1. Should I take French or Spanish? Currently, I am taking French, and I do enjoy it, but I am wondering if I should take Spanish, and possibly get a better score? Next year, my school will offer Spanish for the first time, so at the moment I have no idea if the teacher will be good, and the French teacher I would probably have is very good and makes me really enjoy French.

2. How hard and how much work is HL Maths? I've heard that it is very hard, so I was just wanting some opinions. Strictly speaking, I don't require it for my plans for future study, but I do enjoy Maths more than my other choices for HL, so I was planning on taking it anyway. (2b. So, if I did drop HL Maths, would you suggest HL History or HL English?)

3. How much work are HL Biology and Chemistry? I've heard from some that there is quite a lot of work, and I was just wanting your experiences.

Thanks for all your help!

1. Based on what you told, I'd go with French. I would advice you not to think too much about scores (at least not yet) but rather study what you enjoy studying.

2. I didn't take HL Math myself but based on what I've heard and read about it, it seems to be more work than other HL subjects. As far as I know, it's not much more difficult than SL Math but you just need to work on it everyday. I wouldn't take HL Math if I knew my future plans don't require it because in my mind there are other more useful HL subjects like History or Economics. But then again, if you really enjoy doing math it might be the perfect choice for you.

2b. HL History, because I think understanding our history makes you understand the present much more clearly. And apart from that philosophical viewpoint I also think that in HL History you're left with a more complete overall picture in the end of the course than in SL History where you get to know and understand the most "important" events but in between those you have periods of time you know nothing about. This, in turn, makes the long term causes and consequences harder to understand.

3. I'm afraid I can't help you with this one, as I haven't studied either of the subjects.

So good luck with choosing your subjects! Like I said, study what you feel like studying, not what you think you should study to get the best possible score. It'll be more rewarding in the end.

HL BIOLOGY ---- NOT EASY

seriously takes so much work and memorization

hurts my head

I am doing English HL, if i am doing it, anyoen can do it

if you enjoy french then choose french

chemistry is personally my favourite subject

very interesting but i am doing it at SL

HL Maths --- i have no idea

anyways

good luck

Based on your case, it seems that you enjoy learning French, you've known the teacher pretty well and thus I'll go for French. But there's no harm in trying Spanish though because you can go back to French, but I'll say it's not efficient.

I'm currently taking Biology SL and I'm enjoying it because I pretty love it. I take it as SL because I got no plans whatsoever to take medicine/ doctors related fields.

If you are planning to take medicine/doctor related course, Biology and Chemistry HL is a good combination.

No idea about Math HL :P

1. Take French because you enjoy it and your teacher makes you enjoy it. With that combination, you'll most likely make it through IB French with flying colours, raising your final IB score.

2. HL Maths is very hard. You have to study a lot and you have to be very dedicated to it - especially since you're planning on taking both Biology and Chemistry at a higher level.

3. Do you enjoy biology or chemistry? Do you want to study medicine in the future? A "yes" to at least one of those questions is necessary if you want the motivation to study both subjects at a higher level. I take both Biology and Chemistry at a higher level and my older brother took them, too. Biology HL itself is very demanding. Biology is very specific and if you don't really enjoy biology or want to study medicine, then I would not advise you to take it at a higher level. Chemistry is the same. Although the combination of Biology, Chemistry, and Math all at a higher level is encouraged for students who plan on enrolling in medical school, let me just tell you that this combination is very stressful, very time-consuming, and requires dedication to carry out all three at a higher level. If you think you can do it, then go ahead; always aim high. If you find later on that you can't continue with those classes, then you can simply drop one HL and take up another subject in HL (such as French perhaps). I would not advise you to change the class entirely if you find the combination too demanding because that would be useless and very hard on you. If you do that, you will need to learn completely new material and you will be behind in the other class. However, if you just drop the HL and take SL, the transition won't be difficult.

My older brother graduated two years ago and he said that taking both sciences at a higher level is stressful but fine as long as you keep motivating yourself. He didn't take maths at a higher level, but one of my friends takes all three at a higher level and he says that it's fine, but you have to stay motivated at all times and you have to study really hard at home every single day.

I'm starting IB next year, and I was just hoping for some thoughts on my subject choices.

SL English A1

SL History

HL Biology

HL Maths

HL Chemistry

1. Should I take French or Spanish? Currently, I am taking French, and I do enjoy it, but I am wondering if I should take Spanish, and possibly get a better score? Next year, my school will offer Spanish for the first time, so at the moment I have no idea if the teacher will be good, and the French teacher I would probably have is very good and makes me really enjoy French.

2. How hard and how much work is HL Maths? I've heard that it is very hard, so I was just wanting some opinions. Strictly speaking, I don't require it for my plans for future study, but I do enjoy Maths more than my other choices for HL, so I was planning on taking it anyway. (2b. So, if I did drop HL Maths, would you suggest HL History or HL English?)

3. How much work are HL Biology and Chemistry? I've heard from some that there is quite a lot of work, and I was just wanting your experiences.

If you are enjoying your French classes and feel like you have a good teacher, then by all means keep studying French. In my opinion, it's quit difficult to guarantee yourself a perfect score with language B as so many things can go wrong - And with popular subjects such as French and Spanish, competition is high and from what I have heard only a certain amount/percentage of people a perfect score. Just practice as much as you can, and try and keep your passion for the language as up as possible (my experience is that as soon as work really starts to pile up, people start loathing their language B subject unless its a breeze for them, so keep in mind that POSITIVITY does wonders).

If you don't need HL mathematics for your future don't choose it unless you have an incredible passion for it. (But on the other hand, if you had the biggest passion in the world for mathematics, you would probably be going in a mathematical direction in your future anyway, right?). I don't know a lot about Math HL, all I know is that it is complete hell and usually considered the hardest subject in IB by far. My mathematics teacher said that the jump from math SL and math HL isn't huge so I think you would get a lot of pleasure out of SL math, and you will have more time to do the subjects that are related to your future goals. In regards to HL History vs. HL English - I personally feel that the difference between HL and SL English is a complete and utter joke. The difference is absolutely minimal, and the main difference is that the criteria holds a slightly higher standard and you have to do a bit more poetry. I have heard that there is an enormous amount of reading in History - Probably more than in English and you have to remember a lot of dates and names (way more than in English). I would personally advise you to go for English HL - You will barely feel a difference unless you are already struggling with English. Biology HL is definitely a lot of work - You need to be very good at memorizing and looking at the material from both a holistic and reductionist perspective. Details are surprisingly important in Biology, and the only advice I can give you is buy the Biology study guide (green relatively thin book) it's absolutely fantastic. Do plenty of past papers and read the chapters over and over again. Most of it is pretty fascinating :) - And this is coming from a person that usually despises the Natural Sciences.

As for Chemistry HL - I have heard very mixed reviews. Some people struggle a LOT, other people say its one of their easiest subjects. Personally I think it comes down to the background you have in Chemistry prior to IB. The more knowledge you have, the better, it seems. If you are insecure, then you simply have to spend a lot of time practising (something that you would have more time do to without Math HL) - The more you practice the more confident you will become. Biology and Chemistry complement each other nicely (for some chapters at least) and since you appear to like mathematics you will probably excel in Chemistry. Good luck, I hope you are happy with the decisions you make! Be brave and positive, everything will be okay :)

Edited by Babydolleyes
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the help!

I'm now even more excited about IB, and feeling a little less worried and stressed about my choices.

I'll probably do French and HL Maths, but I feel much more informed now.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

About French and Spanish, I'm not sure if you're talking about ab initio or B. Because if your school offers it for the first time, then I'm guessing ab initio for spanish. I would say, if you don't care about the language you take then go for spanish ab initio instead of French B. Because French B (even at SL) can be demanding sometimes. Spanish ab initio is quite gentle (Thats what I heard, at least).

About HL Maths...I take Maths Studies as you can see, but I have a lot of friends who are doing HL Maths. And they told me that if you try your best to understand it, and actually bothered to do drills...then you're good (With a tutor would be even better).

It seems like you want to get into Medicine since you're taking HL Chemistry and Biology. Its not that bad. In my opinion it'd be much worse if you took HL Physics and Chemistry.

Most students at my school that are getting into Medicine do HL: Chemistry, Biology and History. History is there because 1. they don't think they'd be able to handle Maths HL and since its not necessary for most uni, they take SL instead. And the reason why there's HL History is because they need a subject that would show that they can write essays. English HL would be fine too.

However, I think that HL:Maths Chem and Bio is the perfect combination for Medicine since it is heavy on Maths and Science.

If you can't handle HL Maths later on then drop it for HL History or English. But i'd say go for history. it can be interesting :) ....apparently.

GOOD LUCK

SL English A1

SL History

HL Biology

HL Maths

HL Chemistry

Meh, I don't think maths HL is that hard!

• 3 weeks later...

Word of advice, if you stay with Maths HL try not to succumb to thinking It's-too-hard type thoughts as this can lead to more procastination in the form of ranting/ complaining about how hard Maths HL is. Yes it is challenging, as is any other HL but instead of scaring youself senseless because of the diffculty levels I suggest... you pick up a university Maths book, read 'til head hurts or throbs, then read IB maths book or attempt IB maths work/questions.

However if you're in the 'I-cant-do-maths-Im-so-useless state then dont do above excercise, as this could have possible detrimental effects. Instead think happy thoughts. Eat a bagel. Do some kindergarten maths questions. Play awesome maths games like crazy taxi maths version: http://www.coolmath-...-m12/index.html Think: 'Im a boss' while playing maths games. And don't forget to breathe.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

Word of advice, if you stay with Maths HL try not to succumb to thinking It's-too-hard type thoughts as this can lead to more procastination in the form of ranting/ complaining about how hard Maths HL is. Yes it is challenging, as is any other HL but instead of scaring youself senseless because of the diffculty levels I suggest... you pick up a university Maths book, read 'til head hurts or throbs, then read IB maths book ot IB maths work/questions.

However if you're in the 'I-cant-do-maths-Im-so-useless state then dont do above excercise, as this could have possible detrimental effects. Instead think happy thoughts. Eat a bagel. Do some kindergarten maths questions. Play awesome maths games like crazy taxi maths version: http://www.coolmath-...-m12/index.html Think: 'Im a boss' while playing maths games. And don't forget to breathe.

The first paragraph I know makes sense due to a kinda personal experience with HL Maths despite not having taken it (my bro did).

The second, I'm not so sure as, again, lack of personal experience with HL Maths, but I'd sure as hell give that a go if I were you, for sheer hilarity, if anything else! (Y)

I can simply echo everything that has been mentioned here, if I were to offer advice, with one added word of warning.

Take the subjects that you will definitely need to get onto a uni course of your liking, and then choose others that you may enjoy.

For me, before starting the IB, I did my research for universities and medicine thoroughly (or at least I felt I did at the time) and chose HL Maths, HL Chem and HL Bio and SL English, SL French, SL History.

After getting through a month or two of HL Maths, I couldn't help feeling it wasn't for me and so, after further research and finding that it wasn't even a requirement of getting onto a medical degree course at a good uni, I moved to SL Maths like a shot.

Also, a quarter way through Y12, I sat down for a good few hours and compiled a list of all the med schools in the country, their IB requirements, and subject choices they liked. This helped me see that HL Chemistry is needed for my course and, if I'm honest, not much else other than a good overall score and good grades at HL (although of course doing my research properly before starting the IB would've been better).

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm just trying to say that if you know where you want to be after the IB, a specific course, or uni perhaps, it's important to factor that in to your choice of subjects, doing your research beforehand. If you have to take a particular subject to get onto a course, take it, but also take other subjects that you can enjoy and can endure. If it's a good uni with higher entry requirements, and you're not too sure of which course, take a broad range of subjects, those you feel you can do well in, so you can get the highest score possible. Either way, play to your strengths. And good luck.

- mk

Edited by --- mk