Difference between English HL and SL.

Hello.

Is there a major difference between English HL, and SL? I'm asking because I'm considering. I went to an "Enriched English" class during 9th grade, ended up with a B-. Didn't like the teacher very much, and found the topics quite... meh. Odysseus, for example. I don't think I had a lot of determination, and such. However, I went to GCSE level in 10th grade, and was the top student with an A+. My teacher recommended I go to IB. However, 9th grade has scarred me. D: If IB is boring, I don't think I could handle it, as well as group projects. I DREAD group projects. I love reading, though. I would just hope it would be interesting. Sorry for the long explanation. Is there a huge difference? Is it manageable?

Edited by Rtothea

There's not a huge difference - and also I think that from 2013 everyone, HL and SL, has one world lit not two. More texts. Some criteria, like that for paper 2, expect more sophistication from HL. Also, for things like the paper 1 unseen commentary you don't get a "guiding question" in HL but in my opinion it doesn't really help. Our school's advice is for everyone who is capable to take English Lit HL, because it's almost assumed that if you can handle IB generally your literacy skills are fine. I'm guessing you can always change to standard if you don't like higher - but I'd say try and stick with it because English HL isn't necessarily intrinsically harder than SL nor that much more extra work, unlike some other HL subjects.

In my opinion, the difference between SL and HL is a complete joke. I'm stunned when I hear people are taking English SL and immediately assume that it's a completely foreign language to them/hate languages in general and that they were forced to take English A1 by their school, or that they already have 4 HL subjects - Any reason besides this doesn't make any sense to me, it's not like Biology HL & SL where the difference is enormous.

English HL has the same amount of exams as SL, and the exact same IA's except the criteria holds a slightly higher standard for those in HL but really, when you compare the criteria of SL and HL together e.g for the IOP, the difference is anything but profound. SL's at my school have received permission to skip some classes and have a few classes this year where they can skip, where HL's are doing poetry. Thus far they have had to read all the same novels as HL's and received permission to skip a discussion of one teeny tiny novel (they didn't even get to skip an essay on it or anything).

The IOC is slightly different between HL and SL because HL has to spend 10 minutes discussing poetry (I think poetry is a lot easier to analyze than plays anyway, so this makes absolutely no difference to me) - The extra poetry for HL's is the reason why SL's get to skip some classes this semester. I don't know why but I have never even considered dropping down to SL. Even if, in the end, the ''stricter'' criteria affects my overall final grade and I get a 6 instead of a 7 I don't feel like I could have guaranteed myself a 7 in SL anyway. I think it is worth mentioning that there is an overall difference in the average grade obtained according to the IB statistics though, where SL's have a slightly higher average than HL.

Edited by Babydolleyes

• 4 weeks later...

If I was you, I'd pick HL. IB doesn't really do group work for assessment (except group IV project) and if you wish TOK.

The IB expects HL to cover there texts more depth, WITH a wider-range of structure, literary techniques and style. Both SL and HL need to understand the purpose and effects of structure, techniques and style... but I believe it plays a bigger role in HL assessment.

The assessment pieces are the same for both SL and HL with a few differences

• In HL, the grade boundaries are higher / higher standard of work is expected.
  • In HL, you study an additional 4 sets of works, (novel/play/set of poems/set of short stories/etc.).
    - Which just adds to the workload and amount of revision.
  • In HL. you have to complete TWO World literature tasks instead of just one.
    - I personally feel like this is a pro rather than a con- because I see it as two chances.
  • In HL, you don't receive guiding questions for exams like you would in SL, but you get 30mins longer of exam time.
    - SO WORTH IT!

• 3 months later...