Plagiarism in IB Music

GirlwiththeBlueBox

Hi everyone,

I'm going into Year 2 of the IB Programme and so far things have been going well. This is a theoretical question, but I was wondering... is there any way for the IB examiners for music to tell if an original composed piece is plagiarised? Like is there a software that would detect it? I'm merely curious but slightly nervous that one of my original pieces might be similar somewhat to someone else's that might be out there.

Thanks!

What does it mean to plagiarize music? Copy the style? Copy the technique? Think about this.

And also think about how the IB Music markers would think about "plagiarism". Remember, copying things is usually a brainless activity. They want to see your creativity. If your piece somewhat resembles another composer's works, then figure out why. If you made jazz sheets...then you have leeway. If its classical, then you might try a hand at adding modern elements to it. If its traditional music (from whatever area of the world you choose to define traditional), then put a spin on it so you feel it's safe. Remember, the IB examiners don't want to see you do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHRbEhLj540

and turn it into this: