IB subjects to become a doctor?

Redbug

I'm probably saying what other people already said, but yes HL Chemistry and Biology, and Maths SL (at least).

Although if you can't take Chem and bio both at HL and you have to choose one, then i'd go with chem hl. (chem is very important)

most universities in the uk (even in the states) want to see that you can cope with the chemistry materials taught at that level.

because it is often the most difficult thing in studying medicine.

(i know a lot of people who drop off medicine in uni because of chemistry)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paddyhello

It really depends on which university you hope to go to because each of them have different requirements. If you visit any of their websites and find the course you're looking for, it usually lists the required courses as well! Good luck! If it helps, I'm taking HL Chem, English, French and SL Bio, Math, Economics

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone said, I would like to put it into a simple bullet show :D

1. Biology HL (Human Antomony, Physiology, and Biochemistry ).
  2. Chemistry HL (Drug interaction, and helps support your biology choice).
  3. Math SL, but HL Recommended to get into the other two classes (daily calculations in dosages and etc).
  4. Physics is highly recommended (Problem solving skills, and fast reasoning skills to help during work).
  5. English HL recommended (Docters need to have good English skills to communicate professionally with the patient either by writing or verbally - presentations, conferences, medical journals, articles and etc).
  6. Then the rest is to choose the classes you are most comfortable with, and think you can succeed in.

Like everyone said, I would like to put it into a simple bullet show :D

1. Biology HL (Human Antomony, Physiology, and Biochemistry ).
  2. Chemistry HL (Drug interaction, and helps support your biology choice).
  3. Math SL, but HL Recommended to get into the other two classes (daily calculations in dosages and etc).
  4. Physics is highly recommended (Problem solving skills, and fast reasoning skills to help during work).
  5. English HL recommended (Docters need to have good English skills to communicate professionally with the patient either by writing or verbally - presentations, conferences, medical journals, articles and etc).
  6. Then the rest is to choose the classes you are most comfortable with, and think you can succeed in.

Honestly, I think Bio and Chem take precedence over physics, though either of Bio or Physics should be fine.

I took math HL just cos I like math, cos honestly, you dont need that much math.

English SL gives you more than enough grounding to not need english HL.

I recommend you make your other subjects easy so you can do well overall. Eg, i took geography because I find it insanely easy and I have a really strong background in it

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In Australia they're pretty lenient with subject pre-reqs for med -

It is required either

One science and Math SL

or

two sciences

Here you can get in with math studies as long as you still do two sciences and the points required are minimum 31 - but you have to pass a medicine admission test and be invited for interview based on those results - so it is quite difficult but not as far as subjects are concerned.

• 1 month later...

Hey OP,

I don't know which school you're studying at but I'm located in the UAE as well and as far as I know, IB is pretty strong in Dubai.

IB greatly depends on the maturity of the program at the school and to be honest I wouldn't risk it to go to a school with bad IB results cause it shows that the teachers don't have enough knowledge of the program.

If you're in Dubai, you can look at these schools:

• Universal American School (where I graduated from) - has an IB average of 34-35 and has a pass rate of >85%
  • Deira International School - They have both IB and AP and as far as I know they do pretty well
  • Dubai American Academy - Another really good IB/AP school
  • Dubai International Academy - Another good school which performs well in IB
  • GEMS World Academy - One of the best there is. Amazing campus and really good teachers but more expensive than others
  • Repton School - THE best you can go to and the most expensive one. The facilities of the campus are amazing and they perform extremely well in IB. They had people going to Harvard and such from their IB program.
If I were you, I'd change my school. I know it's hard and you'll be leaving your friends and stuff but if you want to aim for >37 (which you need to get in order to study medicine anywhere) you need to change your school. Because IB really depends on the teacher + hard work. The material you get in class is what makes you a good student and makes it easier for you to achieve 6-7 in your HLs.

I personally suggest Repton, GEMS, and Universal cause I know about them. Talk to your parents and maybe go visit them this summer.

PM me if you had any specific questions about IB in Dubai (:

Repton don't perform well in the IB they had an average of 29. JESS are the best IB school in Dubai, they have an average of 36

Edited by cjy