Math Sl or Studies? URGENT HELP PLEASE ! :'(

Brenda Wijaya

I'm planning to enroll in UK/Australia for BUSINESS MANAGEMENT&MARKETING course in the future at around 2014. I'm currently an IB student. I am an all-rounder but with an exception in Maths, even though I can manage it, but still it just get on my nerves. I took IGCSE in Maths Extended n got an A* (after having hundreds of exercises n efforts) but still I'm confused and not confident to take Math SL.

Actually I want to take Math Studies because it would be easier on my part. However, I'm afraid that if I take Math Studies (and I am on search for good universities in UK and will be looking forward to apply in international undergraduate scholarship) the universities will look down upon me because they see the word 'Math Studies'.

Somehow, I predicted that I can get a 7 in Math Studies. But with Math SL, it can varied from 5 to 7 (a 7 will mean a very rigorous effort but still 70% achievable).

Therefore it really confused me, I want to get a very high score in IB and that is more easily achievable if I'm taking Math Studies. But I also need to get into UK universities for business management &marketing course (searching a cut-off/scholarship as well) and I'm afraid they will mark me down if they look at my Math Studies.

I wonder whether they really know and care about math studies and math sl difference???

My current subject choices are:

HL

Business

Economics

English b

SL

Biology

Bahasa Indonesia Literature

Maths (Studies/Sl????? *currently on Sl but I'm kinda nervous with it)

PLEASE HELP ME give your suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

I would definitely go for SL Maths. I know in Australia there are still some good unis that would accept studies, you would be cutting a few options out that demand SL as a prerequisite. I can't say for sure about the UK, but I have a strong feeling that the unis you would be interested would demand at least SL Maths too. Scores are important to get into uni, but if you don't do the required level of maths, at least in australia its impossible to get into the degree you want.

Definitely do Studies, it's so much easier, it's not worth the hard work if you're not going to do math hl.

the worst thing you can do is take on a level your not confident in and mess up.

I would not agree with that due to the fact that some unis, even if you got a 7 in studies, wont accept you into the course you want but probably will as long as you pass SL and have overall good grades. Having points is nice, but you still want to get in to uni for the course you want.

Do math SL!! Most unis won't look at math studies well, but SL is not too difficult you will get on fine. Its HL that many people find hard but honestly even that wasn't too bad for me coz I loved math. But if you're looking for an acceptable level of math without loving the subject do math SL! Its easy

Do math SL!! Most unis won't look at math studies well, but SL is not too difficult you will get on fine. Its HL that many people find hard but honestly even that wasn't too bad for me coz I loved math. But if you're looking for an acceptable level of math without loving the subject do math SL! Its easy

SL math isn't necessarily "easy" but it's definitely not super difficult and unmanageable either. For the average person, SL works for them. Earning a 6 or a 7 requires some effort to do well, because some of the concepts will be new to you and can be a little difficult to grasp, but frequent revision and keeping up with homework and quizzes will help, and when it comes near to exam time doing past papers will familiarize yourself with the format and questions. You said yourself that you could earn anywhere between a 5-7 with some effort, so I think that with your career ambitions in mind SL would be manageable for you. And if you give it your best and work super hard and you still can't manage a good score in SL math (and I mean not getting at least a 5) then perhaps try studies. But don't go right into studies without trying SL math first. Good luck :)

• 5 weeks later...