Enlish A: Language and literature HL or English B HL?

Hi, everyone!

This September I'm starting IB Diploma programme and now I have to choose IB courses. I'm thinking about English A: Language and literature HL, because I like reading and writing but I'm not sure whether my English is good enough for English A course... I guess, it's for native speakers only, isn't it? Also, I would like to know what is the differences between English B HL and English A: Language and Literature HL? Because either way, I'm going to take one of these...

• 1 month later...

Language and Literature HL is pretty easy even if you're not a native speaker. You just need to know how to dissect a text and take messages out of it and analyze it. With a good english teacher, anyone can do Language and Literature HL. I say do it. I started learning English 6 years ago and I got a high 5 in English A1 HL which is significantly harder than Language and Literature (it is not offered anymore. The last session was 2012). I know people who are studying Language and Literature HL now and it's really nothing to worry about. We studied 15 books for A1 and Lang. and Lit. only requires 2-3 books. It's all comparative study, language in media, and such! It's not hard at all. I say it's mostly common sense and dosen't have much to do with your control over the english language (but that's a personal opinion - don't kill me). I think you should do it and just work a bit harder if you need to. You can always get help with your stuff here or anywhere else on the internet. Language B requires you to take IELS and such for your university and you can't even get a full diploma if you choose to do it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously you don't need to be a NATIVE SPEAKER to do that course. English A is all about writing essays, either it would be literature or language and literature. I think the IB changed the A2 course into Lang & Lit, which makes me feel like it is easier than the pure literature course.

I really think you can do lang & lit if you dedicate some time to it. I'm assuming you already have an A1 language because you're also considering to take B.

Another reason why you should try taking Lang & Lit is also because you'll get a bilingual diploma. But if you want to lighten your workload then you should probably take B :) its all about the dedication. Universities would rather see you getting a 5 Lang & Lit than 7 in English B when you're sorta fluent.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you can take you mother language as language A will be better, English b HL is not that hard so you can take it as the easiest subject, you don't have to focus on it very much, this will give you the time to focus on another area or subject you have :) :)