Is group 6 underrated in terms of difficulty?

Cilver

Absorbing heaps of things at once in a short amount of time is something I can manage

But the thought of having to be creative in a machine-like manner is just scary

Then again, I was never that artistic :P

So yeah, what's your impression? Or on a scale of 1 to 10?

A lot of the visual arts students have found it not very difficult if they have the talent and a good teacher. It can be a nightmare if not guided properly. The final assignment is basically a big portfolio or something like that.

Theatre arts was completely underrated. The first year was nothing but just acting and learning and experimenting and really interesting. We learned 3 different styles intimately and loved it. The second year came with a LOT of work and felt more mechanical, but was still fun. IPPs and PPPs are where your creativity and interest could flourish. The TPPP and RI were more of a pain in the butt and I've seen people lose a lot of marks there because they underestimate the amount of effort and time that goes into preparing for them.

Don't know anyone who takes music or the other pilot subjects. But if anything like Theatre, there's a lot of interesting fun to be had, but a lot of work which can really ruin the experience if you aren't prepared to take it on.

I think that if you're in any way artistically inclined, you can do fine in either of them, provided you take the academic/write-up side seriously enough. You basically have 2 years worth of lessons to be creative in, so it's not too robotic :P As the user above said, I think it's about having a teacher who understands where the marks are picked up and of course planning your time wisely/your teacher doing well with the timings. Doing a Portfolio last minute would clearly be hard but accumulating stuff isn't too bad. Quite a few people studying A Levels at my school, because they had so many free lessons, did IB Art and Theatre Studies certificates for fun in their spare time, they said it was pretty chill and all ended up with 6/7s. Then of course they discovered that IB certificates are worth essentially nothing in terms of UCAS points... but that sad discovery didn't come until later XD

Then again one person in my year who was doing the actual IB left their portfolio until the last minute and got stressed out to the max by having to balance it against all the rest of the coursework my school left until the last possible minute (which was basically all of it for every subject). I don't think they're particularly hard subjects - if you're creative it's a bit of a break to relax by working on something like that - but perhaps people can slip up on organisation and failing to do enough hoop-jumping in the write-ups.

Music history and music analysis may be tedious at times, but the performance aspect of it is easy. I play in the jazz band, and usually my trumpet solos reach the "wow" factor for most people...or so I hope. At any rate, as long as you have really good ears for music and can dish out some quick paragraphs on musical analysis, Music IB is just listening to different music and writing about it. How hard is that?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Positron

My group 6 subject was Chemistry HL, so no, I don't think it is underrated.

I'm sorry but...what? From what I can see you didn't have a group 6 subject. Chemistry is a group 4 course. Group 6 are subjects like Visual Arts and Theatre.

In many schools group 6 subjects are not offered at all, so instead you must take another subject from groups 1-4. He probably confused these.

I think it is very underrated and I don't know why! My first impression of theatre/visual arts (based on what other people had said) was that they were the easiest subjects by far, and the students that usually took them were people who also took math studies, and a lot of languages they already know - basically to get the highest score possible with the least amount of work. I see it through very different eyes now, even though I don't even take VA nor Theatre. People really seem to struggle with these subjects at least according to my friends, and the workload is massive, and I feel like IB drains all of my creative juices - I think Visual Arts could be pure joy if you had loads of time to spend on it.. but under a lot of pressure, it sounds incredibly frustrating.

• 2 months later...

Well, that depends on your talents.

I am a HL Music and to do Music (SL or HL) you have to know how to play an instrument or at least, sing very good. (That's why in my class we are only 3), but one of the most important thinks that you have to be aware of, is that Music is hard and that it requires a lot of time and if you are not disposed to give it the time it requires, you better don't choose it.

Is the same with Arts or Drama/Theatre: those subjects requires time, and if you don't spend the enough time on it, probably you will or you'll have a low mark because work under pressure is hard, obviously, but if is only study you can manage it, but if you have to study and create something, is frustrating and sometimes you feel like you want to give up.