Math IA - Probability

miss mel

I'm just starting my IA now and its due in a few months but i want to make sure this topic area is OK before i put in too many man-hours.

At first i was going to do a comparison of GDP and Geograhy but stats sort of freak me out and i know NOTHING about economics (wooo HL History!). In lieu of that i have decided to base my IA in probability, an area i appreciate much more and have a decent grasp of. My idea is to flip a coin 60 or 70 times for experimental data and then compare this to theoretical data. I will use the kai (?) squared test but the two other processes i am hesitant about. The second is just graphical analysis i.e. putting the points onto the graph and calculating what it would look like after n tosses, making a formula to express this etc. Then i was thinking about looking at this in terms of sequences and series. But these are really rough ideas and i'm not sure if they are the best choices. Any feedback would be much appreciated, thankyou :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think Chi-Squared sounds like a good idea, you could do Pearson's Correlation Coefficient too, but as far as I know Chi-Squared and Pearson's = statistics, right?

Btw I don't think you need to know a lot about economics to compare geography with GDP, you just have to learn the definition of gross domestic product and you would be set.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...