Why are people racist?

wireman

But don't you think because of globalisation and stuff like that, inter-mingling between students across various countries, the whole comfort factor that one feels with people of his/her own ethnicity may not be because of similar ethnicities. It might be because of other stuff.

I think more than lazy, we're just ignorant. Even if we're involuntarily racist, I think it's just wrong and naive.

Your thoughts on the matter don't change that gut feeling one gets when faced with unfamiliar individuals; getting rid of racism completely is something that only exists in one's Utopia. As people become more familiar with different coloured individuals whom have different ethinicities, they will lose that cold and bitter feeling they once had for that race. Just like racism towards african-americans has diminished greatly in the US, any sort of racism that exists at the moment will decrease. :)

This is true.

There was a huge hatred towards the Irish and the Italians during the immigration boom in the US back in the late 1800s early 1900s. This is now almost gone, but the stereotypes still exist (more so for lower class Italians).

Jews are still quite openly disliked by many both in the US and around the world, but this is hardly discussed during racism topics.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Irish_sentiment#19th_century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Italianism#Anti-Italianism_in_The_United_States

Indoctrination.

We are taught to fear, feel disgust, welcome and ignore certain races of people. Sometimes, the reason is explicitly explained. Other times, the feeling is implied. I could call this a cultural thing...but then some people fabricate these rumours of how other people of other races live and behave. We live and breathe these rumours and truths that grow stronger with our convictions as we age. If I told you, when you were little, that your Chinese communist neighbours will eat little children because they are dirt poor, then you would stay away from your neighbours...for fear of your life. Why this stereotype? Because many people believe in the fact that the communist revolution in China brought more poverty to people, so these Chinese guys must be communist immigrants...and thus must be poor. If they're poor, then they would be desperate to find food. The rest follows through.

So, in the end, it's really all of the first impressions you get about other kinds of people. As a native born Chinese, I thought that some races should just be avoided in general. But now that I've broken that past racist image of these people, I can now freely interact with them without the racial influences. So basically your racist influences (because no one can be unbiased) come from all the tidbits of info you hear about other people. The rest follows from rationalization.

Of course, if you don't believe me, then I'll prove it. First, let's assume the opposite...

because they are born that way.

That sounds idiotic.

Depends on his beliefs. People may be genetically geared to prefer some races over others...although I'd prefer the 'blank slate" idea and say that people are completely influenced by their surroundings.

It's a matter of which belief is more supported.

That sounds idiotic.

Depends on his beliefs. People may be genetically geared to prefer some races over others...although I'd prefer the 'blank slate" idea and say that people are completely influenced by their surroundings.

Good point. I am not sure if we are born with an inherent inclination towards a "preferred" race. This might be true. However, feeling resentment and hate towards other races definitely has to do with the way a person has been brought up and the beliefs he/she has been bombarded with during his/her childhood rather than this "genetic predisposition".

That sounds idiotic.

Good point. I am not sure if we are born with an inherent inclination towards a "preferred" race. This might be true. However, feeling resentment and hate towards other races definitely has to do with the way a person has been brought up and the beliefs he/she has been bombarded with during his/her childhood rather than this "genetic predisposition".

I am certain we are not born with an inherent inclination towards a "preferred race". Unless you bring in talk about biology and genes and stuff like that, I wouldn't know because I have no knowledge of it. But even if genes played a role towards an infant's development, I'd argue its role towards the kid's attitude to races is quite diminutive.

Our thoughts towards people are almost if not entirely shaped by our upbringing. Why? Think of Plato's cave. If you were chained in a cave looking at a wall all your life without moving or turning your head, seeing puppet shadows, you'd probably think that the only things that existed are a wall, puppet shadows and yourself. And that will be the only truth idea you have conceived until you are released and explore life outside the cave. That is why I think people are not inherently racist; we only develop prejudices when we are exposed to the notions of others and start interacting with different races. From the way we dress, the way we think, to our little idiosyncracies- they are all formed by our experiences, maybe alongside the knowledge of us belonging in a certain racial group, whatever they might be.

Just to emphasize the point made by my fellow GMod :)

That sounds idiotic.

I am certain we are not born with an inherent inclination towards a "preferred race". Unless you bring in talk about biology and genes and stuff like that, I wouldn't know because I have no knowledge of it. But even if genes played a role towards an infant's development, I'd argue its role towards the kid's attitude to races is quite diminutive.

Our thoughts towards people are almost if not entirely shaped by our upbringing. Why? Think of Plato's cave. If you were chained in a cave looking at a wall all your life without moving or turning your head, seeing puppet shadows, you'd probably think that the only things that existed are a wall, puppet shadows and yourself. And that will be the only truth idea you have conceived until you are released and explore life outside the cave. That is why I think people are not inherently racist; we only develop prejudices when we are exposed to the notions of others and start interacting with different races. From the way we dress, the way we think, to our little idiosyncracies- they are all formed by our experiences, maybe alongside the knowledge of us belonging in a certain racial group, whatever they might be.

And yet we cannot rule out the probability that people's racial distastes may take form in physiological reactions. As I play the part of the Devil's Advocate, we must realize that thoughts may evolve into habits, and these physiological reactions may be passed on, innate in offspring and ready to be activated with indoctrination.

So back to the first question. Why are people racist?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People look for reasons to hate others, and without realizing how ignorant they seem they resort to racism. Sometimes it is unintentionally passed on, for example the Chinese hate the Japanese due to the rape of Nanking... and even my own family still does over an incident from over eight decades ago. It isn't hard to decide for yourself once you've heard both sides of the story. Racism is horrible, but it is inevitable and one tactic that the unintelligible always resort to.

Aheh. My dad and grandmother tell me stories of it all the time and how those "darn" Japanese people took over (Manchuria?) and stuff like that, and how Chinese people were slaughtered. From what I've heard so far though (which is not a lot) the Chinese haven't really done anything to Japan so they might just hate them because of history... but that's not a reason why a regular Chinese person should hate a regular Japanese person.

Racism isn't that bad, you guys! Sometimes we use it for comedic purposes :D though it might be subjective if that really is racism.

1) One reason why people are racist is because, they decide there is no such thing as racism any more... how ironic. Because to them it doesn’t exist, there is no way they can commit a crime, which does not exist. It’s hard for people to realize they are doing something if they are not aware of it. Like for example while I was hanging out an oriental friend, she was approached by  a guy of another ethnic group who decided it would be okay to speak random mandarin sounding nonsense to my friend and just assume she is Chinese even though she is not. She felt it was racist, however this individual had already made up his mind that this behavior was acceptable and not racist. You can't teach someone who doesn’t want to learn, no matter how good their heart. Which leads to …

2) Being unable to agree on what is racist or not. If one does not agree on the boundaries, it is very probable they will violate it. One example is people believing they have the right to use certain words/ or make certain gestures, which certain groups of people have deemed offensive and racist. The classic example is the N-word. There is always that individual who believes that it is their manifest destiny to use every word they have ever heard people use. Regardless of its effect on others. Often these people will use the excuse of the media influencing them via rappers or music artists or whoever in the media. Personally I think this is stupid rubbish as many of these people are not known for being the best role models. And racial stubbornness can develop further…

3) Into racial insensitivity: unintentional or intentional and people deciding how offended one should be to certain scenarios, actions or words. Often people of different race is/ are portrayed in a manner that is very “them” versus “us”. This helps separate people from that race from people of the racist person's race. This also allows said people to dehumanize that race, and give them subtle animalistic and even alienist features making it easier to breed hatred and further separation. Sometimes this can be influenced buy our community and those around us. This can become…

4) Ignorance and or poor racial education: on certain issues and the backgrounds of others. Not really knowing where they are coming from and refusing to respect it. There's a lot of racist gestures and words that I do not understand or know why they are racist. If I am made aware they are considered racist I must respect the people affected by these gestures/ words by not using these gestures. Simply because it offends others and there's some kind of history or negativity attached to it. Not understanding people makes it harder to relate to them and the stuff that makes them who they are. Because of poor racial education/ ignorance people fail to see the limits that certain people may have. Also they lack in…

5) Racial similarity or relationship: Many a time how offended someone is by your words might depend on your relationship with them. Just because a mentally handicapped person may refer to themselves as a ‘retard’ does not warrant every Tom, Rick and Harry to do the same. Just because they allow their close friend or another mentally handicapped person to do the same does not mean any and everyone can now call them a 'retard'. You may not agree with it, but oh well it is what it is. Obviously there is a certain established relationship between them and the people who can say certain things to them. They might let someone with similarity to them share that, simply just because they can. Similarly with racist words or gestures, I may let my friend or someone of a similar racial background to me use those words and gestures and not be offended by it. Personally,I think it’s just easier, and less intimidating, to let these things fly with people who are similar. Other non-racially similarly people may witness this, repeat the offensive whatever and be dubbed racist. 

Many a time people are unintentionally racist, however you get a few ******bags who get their kicks from generally being extremely controversial idiots.

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

That sounds idiotic.

And yet we cannot rule out the probability that people's racial distastes may take form in physiological reactions. As I play the part of the Devil's Advocate, we must realize that thoughts may evolve into habits, and these physiological reactions may be passed on, innate in offspring and ready to be activated with indoctrination.

Well, that escalated quickly

That sounds idiotic.

Well, that escalated quickly

On another note, racism can just be defined as one man's idea that most people hate...which leads to all sorts of negative ideas being attributed to this one idea.

Kind of like how after Hitler did his thing, anyone who acted in a way that seemed like an "extreme fascist" is attributed to Hitler and the nazis as fascist.

See what I mean?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/9330223/Rise-of-neo-Nazi-Golden-Dawn-party-leads-to-spate-of-immigrant-attacks-in-Greece.html

well without racism...

would there be multiculturalism

TOK: without bad there wouldn't be good

: without sadness there wouldn't be happiness

personally i believe that society wouldn't develop without war, racism, etc.

racism is ugly, but we need it

and by the way, in my opinion, everyone is racist

EVERYONE

well without racism...

would there be multiculturalism

TOK: without bad there wouldn't be good

: without sadness there wouldn't be happiness

personally i believe that society wouldn't develop without war, racism, etc.

racism is ugly, but we need it

and by the way, in my opinion, everyone is racist

EVERYONE

Are you serious?

The concepts of good and bad aren't necessarily dependent on each other. Especially on the way that you're making it seem. You have have good things without having a bad thing.

How have you come to the conclusion that racism = multiculturalism? Why do you think that everyone is racist?

Are you serious?

The concepts of good and bad aren't necessarily dependent on each other. Especially on the way that you're making it seem. You have have good things without having a bad thing.

How have you come to the conclusion that racism = multiculturalism? Why do you think that everyone is racist?

without bad, we wouldn't know what good is

i didnt say that "racism = multiculturalism"

as above, without racism we wouldn't know what multiculturalism is

it would not exist because we couldn't compare with anything else

we wouldn't be able to feel happiness if we didnt know what sadness felt like.

the end

Racism.

This is just a poor excuse to justify the fear of the humans to the unknown.

From my point of view, racism has come out as the result of a mixture of fear, ignorance and negligence. Also because we are highly influenced by the generalizations and the stereotypes (all the muslims are terrorist, all the black people, usually showed by the media.

Everyone is exposed to the media by one way or another: TV, radio, newspaper... And they always will look to the worse, never to the best so we always are exposed to those that they want us to know.

Also politicians, they have a great influence on the population, everything they do, everything they say, the population will know if they want us to know. And they decide who is innocent and who is guilty.

Always the ones who are different, will be the guilts.

So in conclusion, as I have said: racism is a mixture of the worse things of humanity. And is going to exist until we learn to respect each other.

Lets assume we live in a world where everybody looked the same, spoke the same language with the same accents, and lived in the same country.

Would racism still exist? Would races even exist?

I believe it would still exist due to human nature. We humans naturally find similarity and connect them to things. We learn by categorizing things. If something does't fit in a category in our mind, we make a new category and attach new things to it(http://en.wikipedia....ory_development). this is the same for people, we categorize people - Immature, responsible, nerd, jerk, children, adult and races. we are naturally curious and scared of things that are different from us. I remember my first pet, I've never seen a cat before, I didn't know what it was(No Tv, No internet, lived on a farm). Often, I would examine it and attribute it different qualities - lazy, curious..etc. Now imagine another person of different colour, I would of course be curious. I would assume that because we look different, something else is different.

To a certain extent, I would blame it on the media, because they are the ones spreading the stereotypes.

Even in a society where everybody looked the same, they would still categorize one another by where they live. Maybe it would turn into a lesser form - stereotypes, but it would still exist, because in the end, everybody is different and similar from one another. it is true we can erase stereotypes of other races through education, but it will never be fully gone, because we will naturally see each other as different in one way or another. There will always be that one person or a group of people who says no to anti-racism. to be fully anti-racist is like saying to remove all of our stereotypes, which is not possible.

Edited by kllerwhalex